Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
peggyb

1.75 nylon instead of the 3.0

would it be possible to use the 1.75 nylon instead of the 3.0?

The 3.0 has thicker parts, up to 3.17 mm, getting stuck into the bowden.

(and of course always at the end of a project, destroying the whole thing)

I tried to run it through a 2.9 mm hole, but it just flexes back, it doesn't stretch.

when using a continuous design, like a vase or bracelet "joris style' with no retraction,

would it be possible to use 1.75 mm, so just pushing.....

would the filament drive have enough pressure to push it through?

it might flex a bit inside the bowden, but this stuff is slippery enough to slide through, I guess...

are there more settings to adjust than the filament diameter?

I think that the molten plastic will be pushed upwards, around the incomming filament. Normally, the 3.00 mm closes the gap, so the molten filament can only go one way, out the nozzle. But with 1.75 the sides are open...

1.75 Mm

I agree with BaasB... however if you reduce the flow speed... and I guess, it can be tricky to find the right speed... then I would say it's possible... but I have never tried it myself and I'm also very curious if it's possible or not.

Please update to us if you get some results :)

i tried a little easy print .....and it works......so far.......

adjusted the filament diameter to 1.75

layer thickness: 0.1

temp. 245

slow, 25 mm/sec

the only thing I had to change was the part that pushes the filament to the bolt,

the old part (v1) had the best pressure, the new spring part did not get far enough

I don't have a tube that size..

and wanted to try it out anyway

first test was OK

0.2 layerheight

speed in Cura 25mm/sec, upped to 135%

temp: started with 245, the colors faded to brown

lowered to 240, the blue came out better

lowered to 236, but that part delaminated later

upped to 240 again

during printing you could see the filament curling up in the bowden, so once in a while I released the extruder closure to get the tension out.

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

it did work for me with a tube insert: od 3mm, id 2mm, just put it inside the original and let it stick out a bit so you can pull it out again.

For me the spring filament clamp didn't work any more, the wheel didn't reach the filament enough.

So I used the old clamp, opened it , and put an extra piece of plastic in between the split, so it stands out a little extra.

old filament clamp

I must say that I didn't use it for a longer time yet, and I didn't use retraction, so there is no gaurantee...

Scott did a video:

http://scottmayson.com/project/ultimaker-1-75mm-filament-conversion/