UM2+Extended Printing Problem

GeorgeReis

Posted · UM2+Extended Printing Problem

I started using a full raft with printing because of a warping issue that I was having. Now I'm experiencing an issue where the raft prints perfectly, but the first layer of the item I'm printing has a lot of weird issues. It almost looks like my platen isn't level - but the raft prints perfectly, as do all layers above the first true layer. I've attached an image to show the problem. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?3D_Troubleshoot.thumb.jpg.3ed5f02354f7f73ae07db6e866e483eb.jpg

3D_Troubleshoot.thumb.jpg.3ed5f02354f7f73ae07db6e866e483eb.jpg

what are the printer parameters, temperature, speed, and what is the materiel you are using

the first layer looks fine, you could try moving the print to a different place on the print bed, also change the orientation

It looks like there is a Z-axis Offset issue on that first layer. If the head is too close the the bed, or in this case the previous layer, Hydraulic pressure will build up under the head as it tries to lay down filament causing it to force out around the head. Try to calibrate the Z-axis and see if it fixes your problems.

I'm not sure what material you are using, but try increasing the bed temperature to help with warping issues.

Thanks - I am using PLA, with the following parameters:

Layer Height .15mm

Print Speed 60mm/s

Travel Speed 150mm/s

Initial Layer Z Overlap .15mm

Temps are all at default settings

I've re-calibrated my platen with the same results. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Slow down the printing speed to 20 for first layer and 40 overall, this will make it longer but make the quality much better and help it overall, make the travel speed 60, And in my case since i use abs i set my fan speed to 50% and make each layer at least 10 seconds, this'll ensure that it doesn't go too fast and give it time to harden so it wont lift or warp.

Hope this helps!

I agree with @Legendary_zotar that your speeds are ambitious but my speed recommendation would be 45-50mm/s print speed, infill speed 55mm/s or less, travel speed I use 150mm/s

Most of these parameters can be machine specific, for example I have an Olson block, use matchless nozzles and have a BondTec feeder, all of these improve print speed