DAE files from Sketchup?

Posted · DAE files from Sketchup?

Hello,

Tonight I upgraded my old Cura version (15.??) to 2.6.2. The old version allowed me to import DAE files from a Sketchup export. Apparently Cura 2.6.2 does not support DAE files. The only file type in common between Sketchup and Cura 2.6.2 is an OBJ file, but it loads into Cura at an odd angle and a much smaller size.

Does anyone know of a good way to export from Sketchup (2015 preferably) into Cura 2.6.2?

Thank you.

Not an expert of sketchup at all, i tried it a few years back but did not continue to use it because to me it's not the best for 3d printing.

I use Fusion 360 instead.

But when i tried it, i had a plugin to convert to STL, that's what you are looking for i think?

Sketchup is notorious for not creating watertight models. And, it is not their focus of usage. I do not think they are keeping up with the format specs as STL and 3D Printing in general keep getting more exact.

There is supposed to be a plugin that helps with this though. But, as a non sketchup user, I am not familiar with the thing itself as I have only seen reference to it here.

The stl export plugin is a must-have if you use sketchup for 3d print design. Get it in the extensions warehouse: https://extensions.sketchup.com/de/content/sketchup-stl

While you are there, you also want to get ThomThom's Solid Inspector2. It does what the name says and repairs most errors it finds - the 2nd must-have for 3d print design.

Personally, I chose Sketchup as my CAD software because it seems fairly easy to learn and there is tons of online help. Works well for me - but since I didn't invest time into Autocad et al I can't compare.

Happy printing.