Print results Spiralize Outer Contour compared to "normal"

kyle59

Posted · Print results Spiralize Outer Contour compared to "normal"

Hi - this is my first post (be easy on me).

I am using Cura 15.04.6

My printing currently is involving printing RC Yacht hull sections, and after upgrading my printer to a Creality CR-10, I am seeing great improvements in the print quality results in general.

With my hull prints, the actual print is just 0.8mm thick wall and the section I am printing at the moment to tune in the printer is the bow section.

My first print was not much different to the old printer, a bit rough, not watertight and a reasonable amount of post processing work needed.

I tried a print with spiralized mode selected and Wow. It was the perfect print with all the build lines so fine, there was absolutely no work required post print. The thing is, that I cannot use the spiralized function as each hull section is not a continuously complete "circled" section and there are areas where there are designed access holes in the hull.

I have seen with the spiralized results, the print quality I am looking for, but have no idea how to fine tune the settings to even get the print in the same ballpark.

My settings are as follows;

Layer height 0.2

Shell thickness 0.8

Fill density 100% (have also used 0% to try out)

Print Speed 50

Temp 205

Bed 60

Filament 1.75

Flow 100%

Nozzle 0.4

Retraction 60mm/s

Speed 5

Initial layer thickness 0.2

Initial line width 120%

Dual extrusion overlap 0.15mm

Retraction 1.5mm

Enable Combing - All

Minimal extrusion before rectraction 0.02

Z hop when retracting 0.075

The rest of Expert Config as standard

Pic of the "normal" hull section

5a333ea8493a9_NormalHullSection.thumb.jpg.b0834de91cb211455019b113b2de50c2.jpg

And pic of Spiralised hull section

5a333ea858ef3_Spiralizedhullsection.thumb.jpg.42c4e658b7e7a622be14119469207a1b.jpg

Any advise as to what I might be able to do in the settings to improve the hull section so it is like the spiralized one would be hugely appreciated.

Posted · Print results Spiralize Outer Contour compared to "normal"

What was your shell setting in spiralize?  If it was 0.8mm shell and .4mm in spiralize mode then what is happening is it is makeing two .4mm passes in normal mode but in spiralize mode it makes a single .8mm pass (effectively doing 200% flow except... a few other details are different as well like position the head moves over).

so one way to get this watertight is to set the shell to 0.8 and nozzle to 0.8 (even though you have a 0.4mm nozzle).  However if you do this I recommend you slow it down a lot to avoid underextrusion.  I'd try 20mm/sec.  So I would try those 2 changes - nozzle to 0.8 and speed to 20mm/sec.  If you get any underextrusion maybe raise the temp by 10C but try it without raising temp first.  In fact as it prints you can look at the quality and play with speed and temp a little.