Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Question regarding injection molded part in newest extruder head


IRobertI

Recommended Posts

Posted · Question regarding injection molded part in newest extruder head

My bowden pop fix finally gave out and I figured I should just go ahead and install the hot end upgrade that I've had for a while now. Looking at the instructions for assembly it looks like there has already been a new addition since I bought the upgrade kit (December 2012).

There's now a new injection molded part that helps with the retention of the bowden. Since this is my main issue I naturally got a bit "worried" that I didn't have this part. How important is it? Could Ultimaker be persuaded to send me this part only (cheaply. I'm not paying 15 bucks or something for a cheap plastic part)? Unfortunately I caught this a couple of days after placing an order for new belts, otherwise it might've been possible to just pop one of those in the envelope.

 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Question regarding injection molded part in newest extruder head

    The top piece is to save in production time and improve production quality. The wood part no longer needs to be chambered after lasering (which sometimes did provide the proper result and thus more parts that needed to be replaced).

    The rev3 assembly instructions still use the wood part that you have:

    http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Ultimaker_rev.3_assembly:_Extrusion_head

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Question regarding injection molded part in newest extruder head

    I've got the same head that you need to assemble and I've never had the bowden pop off and I've never had a clog (but ground the filament once during an experiment).

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Question regarding injection molded part in newest extruder head

    Right, new head assembled and very briefly tested. Tentatively optimistic :) Took a while longer than I had hoped, had a couple of hickups, one involving soldering (due to how I mounted my extra fan I had to cut the cables and re-solder). I also managed to break my new mounting point for the extruder so I need to print a new one DOH!

    On the up side I noticed that one of the axes was ever so slightly bent so I took care of that (I suspected this going in so I checked) and now the head moves ever so slightly smoother, every little bit helps :)

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Archived

    This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...