Starts printing about 5mm above the bed

olivierc

Posted · Starts printing about 5mm above the bed

Help!

I don't know what is going on, I'm probably doing something wrong but I don't know what: I have been printing without problem for several days until now. When I start a new print, the head is way too high above the bed, about half a centimeter, and all I get is a spagetti of PLA.

I know what you're going to say: did you check your Z-endstop? is you bed leveled? That's the first thing I checked and yes, it looks like. I reajusted the endstop and it clicks right when the head touches the bed pretty much anywhere on the bed.

I ran Curas's bed leveling wizard several times, but every time the same thing happens: I pretty much don't have to do anything during the calibration because the bed is already correctly leveled, but when it tries to print the square outline at the end of the wizard, same thing, the nozzle is too high above the bed.

I thought it could have been an error in the gcode that I'm trying to print, but even the file I printed without problem this morning doesn't work now.

Also when I select "auto home" on the controller, it works fine, the bed touchs the nozzle (when I say it touches it, I don't mean it hits it hard, but just that they are not far apart)

Anyone had that problem before?

Posted · Starts printing about 5mm above the bed

My bad, I feel very stupid, I found the solution 5 minutes after posting: the screws on the z-axis coupler were untightened, so the coupler was a bit loose and the axis was not turning correctly, resulting in Z value getting off slowly. I found by playing with the ulticontroller, noticing that when I set the z-axis to 0.0, it was off, then hitting home (relying on end switches) it was fine, then playing with th z axis again, it was getting more and more off.

Man, when I think I have made every possible mistake and that now it's gonna be ok, I always find new ones