Cura renders modell incorrectly

Posted · Cura renders modell incorrectly

Hello all together,

I have a problem with the rendering of a model I created in Blender after importing it in Cura.

The model has the shape of two flower pots that are connected to each other on their ground so that it is open from the top and from the bottom. (A little smaller and more oval.)

Blender-Rendering.thumb.png.441c4b434fb72dea36c741ca72db980c.png

If I export this model in Blender in x3d or stl to import it into Cura, Cura displays it as an oval box with a closed ground and top and infill in the whole object.

Cura-Rendering.thumb.jpg.fc1b9e2f752aa1ed4eb38af33be808c3.jpg

I hoped Cura will calculate support for the bottom of the object till the middle plate inside the object is reached.

Do you have any ideas how I can tell Cura that my object looks a little bit different? Or should I import it in Cura in a different way?

Or have I done an error or missunderstood something?

I have not tried to rotate my object, but then I would need much more support, so I would like to print it in this position.

Thanks for your help in advance.

flobbie

Blender-Rendering.thumb.png.441c4b434fb72dea36c741ca72db980c.png

Cura-Rendering.thumb.jpg.fc1b9e2f752aa1ed4eb38af33be808c3.jpg

Hi and welcome,

Not really sure what is going on, probably something strange is happening awhen you export your model.

In cura, there are several options that you can play with, you can find them under mesh fixes (if i remember well), try selecting and unselecting, and combining them to see if it show the result you are aiming for

Thank you for your hints.

I played around with the seven mesh fixes in the settings but I didn't notice any changes at all. At least not to the main problem of the model.

Additionally I uploaded my model to https://tools3d.azurewebsites.net/ and https://service.netfabb.com/ and let them repair the model. But the "fixed" model also had the same problem.

Is there another way to export my model from blender to cura than exporting it in x3d or stl? Is there a better way?

Do you mind letting one of us look at it? I love to solve modeling issues. I can take standard STL or OBJ files as that is what you would be using for the most part anyway.

But, I'd love to take a crack at it. :)

@earbud: Thanks, I exported is as obj in blender, and I am not quite sure what you meant with "Set the top surface skin layers at least to two". I didn't saw any export settings in blender. I tried to make my inner layer a bit thicker if that is what you meant, but that didn't help.

@kmanstudios

You can find the stl file here: Object.stl

Or a blender file here: Object.blend

Thanks for looking at them.

@earbud: Thanks, I exported is as obj in blender, and I am not quite sure what you meant with "Set the top surface skin layers at least to two". I didn't saw any export settings in blender. I tried to make my inner layer a bit thicker if that is what you meant, but that didn't help.

@kmanstudios

You can find the stl file here: Object.stl

Or a blender file here: Object.blend

Thanks for looking at them.

The " top surface skin layers at least to two" is a Cura setting in the slicer. You will probably have to unhide a lot of settings to get to it. It should be in the "Shell" section if I remember correctly.

I'll download and take a quick look because well, I gotsta hop on a job :) But will definitely look. :)

Dammit!!! Frikkin' site ate the reply GGRRrrrrrrrr.......And, no, back button did not work.

OK. Here is the short version:

1. Not in scale. Had to scale it up almost 900% to sorta match the size based on your object to virtual grid. That is not good.

2. Object not manifold. It was a collection of 2D parts with no thickness to each surface.

AllPartsNonManifold.jpg

3. No matter what settings it was set at, Cura would either not slice it or would cap it to create depth and what you got was a solid with nothing but infill.

NonManifoldGetsCapped.jpg

4. Taking the object and applying a thickness to your walls establishes your actual thickness and defines 'inside' and 'outside'. These are each part with thickness and made manifold.

AllPartsManifold.jpg

This lets Cura slice and not have to worry about what it is trying to fix. Learning to model is important and this is lesson one. :)

ManiofoldResults.jpg

Here is the fixed file at the size you made it. I have no idea what size it really should be and based my slicing off your image above.

http://www.kmanstudios.com/Object_Fixed_EK.stl

• Like 1

OK, this site just ate my reply twice. This is getting really bad. fortunately I had copied the shortened version of my reply this time. But, twice in a row is setting a new record.

@kmanstudios Thank you very much.

I saved the model you created for reference and backup, but I will try to remodel my own file with the errors you outlined in mind. They make sense to me, but I have not been aware of these points.

Thank you again for all the effort and the tips.

@kmanstudios Thank you very much.

I saved the model you created for reference and backup, but I will try to remodel my own file with the errors you outlined in mind. They make sense to me, but I have not been aware of these points.

Thank you again for all the effort and the tips.

It is no problem and you are most welcome. It is how we learn. Well, I learn that way at least.

Just remember two major things at this juncture:

1. Try to model at the scale you want. Cura (Actually slicers in general) wants to work at millimeters and that is a good place to start at in your package of choice.

2. Always have a thickness.

Good luck!!