systems choice

edgar-meyer

Posted · systems choice

I have a new Ultimaker printer and am just learning how to use it

I find that only Skeinforge (35) with PLA Ultimaker failsafe v1. feeds PLA after the initial setup

and - without PLA feed, nothing gets drawn

any suggestions?

thanks, EM

Posted · systems choice

In the default setup the dimensions plugin is disabled, this is an mistake, and it should be enabled.

Once you get printing running, it's recommended to upgrade to Marlin with SF42 or higher.

Posted · systems choice

You'll need to run it separately from ReplicatorG.

If you are up and running with your printer, it's best to upgrade to Marlin firmware. And use a new version of skeinforge. You can get skeinforge at

http://skeinforge.com/

Or you can download my Skeinforge_PyPy version:

https://github.com/daid/Skeinforge_PyPy/downloads

(windows only) which is preconfigured to work with the latest version of Marlin on an Ultimaker (You still have to install Marlin yourself)

I've been running with latest development Marlin, and my Skeinforge_PyPy SF46 without a hitch. It also comes with PrintRun, which is a better replacement to print with then ReplicatorG. It's missing 1 or 2 features compared to ReplicatorG, but it's much more stable, which is better for long prints.

For Marlin, ook here:

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Marlin_firmwa ... _Ultimaker

Posted · systems choice

I'm just going to say that a few people have found pauses in with the latest Marlin, while older versions did not have them. I'm not pointing fingers but just sayin since I started using printrun/pronterface the pauses have disappeared. I really like ReplicatorG for scaling and positioning .stl models, sometimes you need it when a model is too high or turned on its side or something. Other than that printrun/pronterface is basically the same.

Also in case its not explicit, you must use v.22 of arduino software to compile/upload the Marlin firmware, other versions will not work.

PS, upgrade to Marlin you wont regret it.

Posted · systems choice

Is it time to petition UM to start shipping machines with Marlin and SF42+ ?

Posted · systems choice

I just put this in the wild:

http://daid.eu/~daid/marlin_build/

A tool to build the latest and hottest Marlin with any option you want. This is newer then the Marlins in RepG. This is the ErikZalm branch. If you are still printing from RepG you most likely want to set the baudrate to 38400 and disable the "Software endstops" and "Endstops only for homing" options. As those are causing confusion by many Marlin starters.

Or, this link should be exact that version: (I hope the forum allows links this large)

http://daid.eu/~daid/marlin_build ... inTemp=190

(I actually had contact with Erik de Bruijn about upgrading/fixing some of the Ultimaker default software problems, but I haven't heard from him in a while, guess they are busy with lots of stuff)

Posted · systems choice
    If you are still printing from RepG you most likely want to set the baudrate to 38400

Wait. What??

Seriously? What happened to good ol' 115200??

Posted · systems choice
    If you are still printing from RepG you most likely want to set the baudrate to 38400

Wait. What??

I thought RepG was using 38400? Or was it 115200? Well... just don't use RepG to print. You're better off with PrintRun anyhow.

Posted · systems choice

Wait. What??

I thought RepG was using 38400? Or was it 115200? Well... just don't use RepG to print. You're better off with PrintRun anyhow.

I'm pretty sure it's a setting in the xml node for the printer you tell repg you're using.. IIRC, it is indeed set to 115200 for Ultimakers..

Posted · systems choice
    Is it time to petition UM to start shipping machines with Marlin and SF42+ ?

Petition is noted, will ask for it next week at UM headquarters. However, when they are shipping with Marlin, they need to be sure that it is functioning properly ;)