So, what are skins?

yellowshark

Posted (edited) · So, what are skins?

Hi I have just upgraded to Cura 2.7 and have found a new term, for me, "Skins" I am not clear as to what these are. The release notes suggest to me that they are the top most layer(s) but having now installed the software and looked at all the settings, the settings help text suggests that "Skins" refers to the lower layer(s) too. Also when using the term "Skins" is one referring to the solid infill area only or does it include the walls?

Can someone clarify please.

Edited by yellowshark

Posted · So, what are skins?

"Skin" in Cura refers to the walls of the print. Normally there is one outer wall/skin and one or more inner "passes" that build up the wall. Note that the skin does not include the top or bottom of the model, those are called "top" and "bottom".

• 4 years later...
    Posted · So, what are skins?
    On 12/26/2017 at 6:42 PM, ahoeben said:

"Skin" in Cura refers to the walls of the print. Normally there is one outer wall/skin and one or more inner "passes" that build up the wall. Note that the skin does not include the top or bottom of the model, those are called "top" and "bottom".

Pretty sure this is incorrect. According to the settings in the Cura slicer (4.13.1) "skin" is always in reference to top/bottom "surfaces" and that is how I've always understood it.

Sorry to bump an old post but for future reference a correction needed to be made. 😉