Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
bradley

New UM2 Mainboard - Homing on all axes is backwards! Help

While performing the UM 2+ extruder/feeder upgrade, my early production UM2 motherboard was smoked.   Apparently there was extra solder under a stepper motor driver chip and by moving the board around during the upgrade, the solder fragment moved, shorted the chip and fried the board.

Ok,  I contact UM support.  They won't support a warranty replacement -- board and upgrade kit is too old.   Replacement board is $350 from UM.   What?

So I take a chance on a Chinese made clone board ($90 - much better).    It's this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upgrade-Ultimaker-2-3D-Printer-V2-1-5-Control-Board-Mainboard-Ultimaker2-Motherboard-w-USB-cable/32835586263.html

(has replaceable stepper drivers --  hey -- that's why my original board blew out -- great).

It arrives.  I install it.   Easy peasy.  I fire up the printer -- powers up perfectly.   I upgrade the firmware to UM2+, do a factory reset, I get the setup wizard.   I click continue, and the Z platform starts homing up!   Up?  It's supposed to go down!    What-the-heck is going on?

I try jog controls in Pronterface.   All the motors are moving in reverse.   Homing X/Y, the head crashes to the front right.   When I try to home Z, it crashes up.

Don't berate me:   Please help me figure this out.

Thanks in advance,

*B

Edited by bradley

It usually pretty easy to reverse the motor direction. If it's like my UMO, you have 2 pairs of wires out of the motor. Take one pair (leave the other alone) and swap the 2 wires over. May need some delicate poking a tiny, tiny screwdriver into a plug to get the pins out, whatever. Or snip the 2 wires a few cms from the plug, swap them over & resolder, having put a length it heatshrink sleeving on first to cover the joins & seal with hot air gun.