Posted · Unexpected 1st layer behavior

I currently have the following Start Gcode for my printer:

M355 S1 ; Enable lighting
G28 ; home all axes
M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; Extuder
M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; Bed Temp
M116 ; Temp Wait
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

material_bed_temperature_layer_0 inserts, as expected, the value for "Build Plate Temperature Initial Layer"

material_print_temperature_layer_0 WAS, at one time, inserting the value for "Printing Temperature Initial Layer" (currently 230).  However it has recently started putting in 210 and that value is nowhere in the Material settings that I can find.

Any assistance would GREATLY be appreciated.  I have to save and edit the file every time which is a hassle.

I had the same problem.   It's a regression bug in Cura 3.1, and is supposed to be fixed in 3.2.    

As a workaround, you could just change your startup gcode to S230 for now, then change it back whenever 3.2 comes out.   Not ideal, but at least you won't have to edit every gcode file.

/Frank

I found a workaround by accident.   If your startup gcode contains no reference to any print temperatures (no {material_print_temperature} variants, even in a comment), Cura will automatically prepend the gcode

M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

before your startup code, with the correct temperatures.

This is going to wait for the nozzle to get fully up to temperature before doing anything else (including heating the bed) so it might not be the best solution.

/Frank

Aye, thanks for the responses guys.  Cura 3.1 has been acting stranger and stranger giving me different results each time the gcode is generated, reading part of a circle as a straight line (or at least telling the printer that) and all sorts of other buggy behavior.  Mind you the .stl file is 100% manifold.  I'll wait for 3.2 and go back to slic3r for now :(.  I really LOVE all of the options Cura gives allowing me to correct various issues and giving me cleaner prints.