Sudden problems with Cura, baudrate, prefs hang, (mac w/ 13.04)

ttennebkram

Posted · Sudden problems with Cura, baudrate, prefs hang, (mac w/ 13.04)

Last week, was able to connect and attempt to print (bed leveling issues, hopefully resolved now) NO CHANGES software-wise to either the Ultimaker or the Mac.

But today, had 2 problems out of the blue:

1: Machine fails "Detecting buadrate"

Finally says "Machine state Error: No more baudrates to (try?)"

Same software, machine, same USB port on Mac.

I even completely unplugged the 3D printer and rebooted the Mac.

Sometimes it would even show the TEMPERATURE of the printhead, but still claim it couldn't connect.

I tried a lower resolution print, wondering if it was the gcode size, but same thing.

Then...

2: Now Preferences window no longer comes up, hangs Cura, have to Cmd-Opt-Esc

After looking online, I saw that you could set the baud rate manually.

I sent into settings, it had been set to AUTO.

I tried the top speed, didn't work.

Tried the next highest speed, didn't work.

Tried the 3rd highest speed, didn't work.

BUT now I can't get back into File / Preferences.

The window never shows up. But if I go to the File menu, everything is grayed out.

If I exit Cura it won't exit, then I get a large blank window, then have to force close.

I even REBOOTED the Mac (recent vintage, up to date on OS, etc), and I still can't bring up Cura's preferences.

Some Cura versions have had problems opening dialog boxes. If the window doesn't show up, try clicking on the dock icon for Cura, that usually fixes it.

Regarding the communications issue, sometimes the OS will rename the port based on boot order, I think. Therefore, I suggest you look on the drop down and see if another similarly named port has shown up now.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that seemed to work:

1: Clicking the Cura icon in the Mac "task bar" (dock) did bring up the preferences dialog box

2: There were two ports with the same name; chose the second one

3: Didn't work at slower speed, but DID work at highest speed

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem, but maybe for a different reason. My prints would fail part way through (from loosing the baudrate), and it turned out that it occurred whenever I turned on a deck fan. Seems odd to me since it is plugged into an adjacent reciprocal, but perhaps this could solve other peoples problem, something is being turned on and screwing with your main power?