Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
mike-truly

Transform Sub-Objects?

Cura 3.1

I'm pretty sure this is not possible but I thought I'd check.

When you have a single STL (which is made up of 2 sub-objects) on the print bed in Cura... is there any way of selecting just one of the sub-objects and transforming that sub-object around the bed independent of the other sub-object?

(Not sure if this would defy the laws of the STL format or something).

In my 3D app, it would be convenient to select 10 objects and save them into a single STL.  Then I could load the STL in Cura then select the individual sub-objects and shuffle them around the print bed to then have them all be printed at once.  As it is now, I must save the 10 objects individually to 10 different STLs (which involves typing/naming all the STL files, etc.) and load them all into Cura before I can shuffle them around.

Just thought I'd check.

Thanks!

Mike

Edited by mike-truly

Note that the old Cura (15.04 and before) had a function to "break apart" models, but this has not yet been ported over to Cura. It has been on my list of things to contribute for a while now, but so many things to do, so little time...

Thanks for the info... interesting.  I would certainly vote for seeing that back in the current version!

From an automation standpoint (which was really why I was asking about this originally), I have found that changing to OBJs in my 3D app (instead of STLs) allows the use of some scripts to automate the saving/naming of multiple selected objects.  So basically, select 10 objects, click 3 buttons and 10 OBJ files appear.  Now drag all 10 into Cura and they can be shuffled around the print bed quickly.  So this may be a current workaround for me.

Thanks again.

Mike