Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
JimT

More Jewlery Designs

I'm doing a design-a-day challenge in 2018. I might create several new jewelry designs some days, and none others, but the goal is to have 365 printed designs at the end of the year. I'm currently ahead of schedule. I just finished printing February 22. :) I previously posted some of my January designs. Here are eight of the February designs.

Feb1.JPG

Feb2.JPG

That is nice! What filament? It gives them an almost jade appearance.

The top ones are really cool as they have an abstracty scarab look. Your fractalish approach (self similarity at different scales) is nice.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

That is nice! What filament? It gives them an almost jade appearance.

The top ones are really cool as they have an abstracty scarab look. Your fractalish approach (self similarity at different scales) is nice.

Thanks! The scarab-like ones are my favorites so far. I think of them as bugs from another planet. :)

The filament is 3D Universe Green PLA. I bought a lot of 3D Universe filament during their Winter sale, and it is working well. 

I just started writing my OpenSCAD module in January. Although it is still quite simple, I'm happy with what the designs it can generate already. I have a lot of ideas for features that I'd like to add to it by the end of 2018. One of them is recursion. Recursion would enable it to generate true fractals.

Edited by JimT

59 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

??? They look recursive as they are. I am not sure what would be the difference.

They certainly show self-similarity, but there is no recursion in the current version of my OpenSCAD module. Recursion is a specific kind of algorithm that I have not yet implemented in my code, although my code often gives similar looking results. The chapter on fractals in Daniel Shiffman's book, "The Nature of Code", has a good discussion on fractals and recursion. Here are a couple of sound bites from it.

"While self-similarity is a key trait of fractals, it's important to realize that self-similarity alone does not make a fractal."

"Another fundamental component of fractal geometry is recursion. Fractals all have a recursive definition."

http://natureofcode.com/book/chapter-8-fractals/

My current code doesn't allow me to define a design with a recursive definition, so technically, my designs aren't fractals, although many of them do have self-similarity at different scales. I'm probably being a bit pedantic about this, but recursion is kind of a big deal to me. It would allow my code to generate designs of a much higher level of complexity than it can currently generate.

Edited by JimT

In your next photos, could you show what basic shape(s) you started from for each model, next to the final result? Are it simple lines, curves, leafs, circles, or already more complex basic shapes? Or combinations? Could be interesting.

Edited by geert_2

5 hours ago, geert_2 said:

In your next photos, could you show what basic shape(s) you started from for each model, next to the final result? Are it simple lines, curves, leafs, circles, or already more complex basic shapes? Or combinations? Could be interesting.

Here are a couple of pics of the basic shape used in the three bug-like designs in the first photo.

12a.JPG

12b.JPG

Edited by JimT