Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
znib

Cura placing objects inside each other

I exported a .dae file from SketchUp 2013, which contains two objects. When I load it into Cura 13.04, the two objects look fine and are positioned exactly where they should.

But when I click "Prepare" the two objects end up being placed on the same spot, inside each other.

When I switch back to normal view, the objects are fine again, when I switch to Layers view again, they are again inside each other.

In the log I get lots of these

Warning, the triangle mesh slice intersects itself in getLoopsFromCorrectMesh in triangle_mesh.

and these

Model error(intersect): (101.779137, 98.631186, 0.075000) (102.775591, 98.500000, 0.075000)

Any ideas what's going wrong? I could provide the .dae file and the resulting .gcode file, but I couldn't figure out how to attach files in this forum....

Marco

Znib, It's time for you to switch to the beta. It doesn't seem to have any more bugs than the non-beta cura so I think it's time to learn the new interface and the new worarounds. Obviously a workaround for your problem with the old cura would be to split the part into two separate STLs and then maybe print them in one job using project planner. But the new cura does project planner a whole new way and it's better to learn cura beta method as that is the way going forward.

Znib, It's time for you to switch to the beta. It doesn't seem to have any more bugs than the non-beta cura so I think it's time to learn the new interface and the new worarounds. Obviously a workaround for your problem with the old cura would be to split the part into two separate STLs and then maybe print them in one job using project planner. But the new cura does project planner a whole new way and it's better to learn cura beta method as that is the way going forward.

Ok, convinced. And I just saw there is version 13.06.02 here http://software.ultimaker.com, so I guess it's now official, and not beta anymore. :-)