Scale group of STL's to fit build plate?

whiteglint

Posted · Scale group of STL's to fit build plate?

Hi all, 

I was trying to print the Medieval Castle on thingiverse which is a large model. The maker was kinda enough to break the model into 15-20 smaller chunks but two of which are 10mm too long to fit on my printbed. Since there were so many chunks, I had to manually drag each one on to the plate and check it's dimensions in order to find the max scale factor. 

One trick I came up with is to make a fake printer with a 1x1x1 meter build area which lets me slice all the parts at once for a *rough* ball park estimation of how long it would take to print, the amount of material that would be used, and give me an idea of which component is the limiting factor in size. Would it be possible to build a plugin that allows the user to drop multiple components in, find the largest, scale it down to fit on the bed, then return that scale factor to be used with the other components so they too get scaled correctly? It could also return total print time and total material used.

• Like 1