Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

bad bowden tube fitment led to blockage at extruder

graeme_robinson

Posted · bad bowden tube fitment led to blockage at extruder

Thought I would share a problem I encountered and solved.

Photos here: http://tinyurl.com/ks2zljk

Last week I got too ambitious with the Tune/Flow control on my new Ulticontroller and forced the bowden tube retention end loose at the stepper motor. I was able to print a fix for this issue

(http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40544) which seemed to work really well.

However fitting the fix required me to remove the bowden tube from the print head end (perhaps not 'required' but I found it easiest to do so), and I clearly replaced it incompletely, with the tube not fully inserted in the insulator.

That's not surprising as the tube doesn't run straight down when inserted - complete disassembly of the metal print head from the plywood frame part is needed for a snug fit and I recommend you do that if you ever need to remove the bowden tube from the print head end to avoid this pooling PLA/ABS problem - its a real showstopper!!

The lesson here for me is I need to be extremely careful when modifying flow rate and temperature! Thanks and I hope someone finds this useful. Hopefully I have posted in the right location. Comments and further tips appreciated.

Posted · bad bowden tube fitment led to blockage at extruder

If you have a v2 hot end, there are openings in the housing which allow you to guide the bowdentube, so you can push it fully down in the teflon insulator. I always do that, pull it up again to insert the horse shoe, and then push it down again so it is always under pressure, and fully down. Doing a complete rebuild is probably also effective, but this is a bit faster i think.