Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
valcrow

13.06 Support material problems & comparison

Hey,

So since I was playing with the new Cura, I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I'd illustrate the issues with the new support structure generation I'm having with this object I'm trying to print.

cura Support issues

Picture shows all I wanted to say. 13.03 supports are just a breeze to remove and even the weird hook shape the support is approached from one side which makes it easy to rip off with pliers without damaging the relatively weak hook part.

The part is roughly 1.3 cm wide. The hook part is probably around 4mm wide.

Cura 13.06 fails on printing the hook because there is no support underneath as illustrated in the picture.

For now I'll print with 13.03 for supported objects, but hope that this will help isolate the issue and improve for future versions since 13.06 is just so much more awesome in every other way.

Support material still needs some more work. I know it. The 13.06 version generates support that is usually a bit easier to remove as it has a "top" gap. But it doesn't have a sidewards gap as the old support, causing it to attach to the sides sometimes.

I don't think the lack of support is directly related to being a hook shape. But I've also noticed that sometimes there is no support where there should be.