replacement belts

c-ernst

Posted · replacement belts

I am trying to find replacement belts for my machine, theses took a beating playing with tensioners and slipping here and there in the past.

Everyone posts "Just look for 240mxl .25 and 80mxl .25 belts"

If you go to a site like this company near my house... there is all kinds of info missing in the above statement.

http://catalog.bbman.com/db/service?domain=bbman&command=locate&category=timing_belts

I am assuming the 240mxl is metric like eveything else on the machine. The english units only have 19.2" long belts which is too short.

What tooth style am I looking for?

What is the pitch length I am looking for?

Assuming 6.4mm in width.

thanks!

Chuck

I've got one of the first available Ultimakers from last year so maybe the belts have changed since then, but mine appear to be marked 100MXL and 300MXL.

Looking at your link, the 100MXL is 8.00" and the 300MXL is 24.00".

MXL is the tooth style

.25" is the width (or 6.4mm if you choose)

240 is the number of teeth which will give you a 19.2" pitch length

80 is the number of teeth which will give you a 6.4" pitch length

Both of which seem too short for my machine.

What are your stock belts marked as?

Dave

That is the thing that is making me doubt myself. My belts on my machine are clearly marked 240mxl but are the length of a 300MXL belts. I picked up a replacement 240mxl and it is indeed too short.

I'll try ordering some 300mxl but that still doesn't explain why mine say 240mxl unless there is another factor I don't understand with these.

• 1 month later...

On my brand new um the belts are B300mxl, the are quite loose and maybe a shorter belt would be eay better. Not easy to find, anyway, in ye olde europe...

Very sad, a 2000$ machine running on clothes spring as belt tensioners.... :(

If ainbody know where to buy mxl belts , please post the link

If you are in the UK, you can get MXL belts from http://www.beltingonline.com/mxl-pitch-rubber-timing-belts-4580 you can spec the width of belt you require, i have used them a couple of times and they ship within a few days and the price's are good so you could order a few spares.

I am guessing the 300 on the ultimaker belt is the amount of teeth, so the 2384-MXL could be the right option as this would be about a 4mm shorter belt ?.

On my brand new um the belts are B300mxl, the are quite loose and maybe a shorter belt would be eay better. Not easy to find, anyway, in ye olde europe...

Very sad, a 2000$ machine running on clothes spring as belt tensioners.... :(

If ainbody know where to buy mxl belts , please post the link

I always say: "Better loose belts than problematic belts". My first machine was a BfB, and their way of tightening the belt was to actually cut the belt in half, and then try to squeeze it through 2 blocks to keep it together. If you tried to do this using your hands, it would get loose during printing and ruin the print. The onliest way it would work was to have someone with pliers holding it tight, and another person who screwed it so hard that it almost cracked the plastic. The Z tensioner was actually a huge belt that you had to push through a belt tensioner, and if that belt came loose, everything would start slipping...

The belts should work properly if you follow the instructions properly, if you dont then you will end up with loose belts. I am using an Ultimaker and never had to use a belt tensioner at all...

Every participant in our last Ultimaker workshop had loose belts. There is no way you can explain that by saying they all did not follow instructions. If the belts are a different length than designed, then there is little you can do but improvise.

It seems there is no quality control procedure yet at UM for belt-length.