Remote controlling my ultimaker

kempton

Posted · Remote controlling my ultimaker

So,

I've been printing non-stop since i got my printer in mid-january. (At the moment printing out the negative molds to make silicone products, blogpost awaiting.. ) During the night i usually wake up a couple of times to check on it, but when i go out i usually get some friends to watch it now and then over skype.

Yes i am paranoid, and even though i have not had any problems with it so far, it is not exactly FCC approved, and i cannot trust it to manage itself while i am away for 12hours.

So i want some way of remote controlling it. I plan to find some kind of webcam app, where i can check up on it on my mobile, but how to turn it of if it really goes bad. I take an hour train everyday, and the room has wooden walls. Go figure...

So tell me about your setup. Do you have a spotter? do you always plan to be close to it when its running? Do you have some kind of app?

- Kempton

I use LogMeIn. The free version is good enough for doing standard operations

on an Ultimaker. I have a webcam setup with the cam software up and the print

spooler software running as well. Frame rate is sluggish but I can see if a print

is running fine or has failed.

I can log in through my phone or another pc and hit stop at any time. Quite nice.

There are probably other remote login softwares that can do the same thing.

Not to try and scare anyone, but I have experienced some glitches with my heater previously. I am not sure if they were a repG problem, or something else. Once the heater kept reporting about 40°, and I momentarily thought there was a problem with my heater. I heard some loudish snapping sounds and looked over to see a thin wisp of black smoke coming off the print head. :shock:

I also had the temperature reading jump all around like crazy a few times. One thing I have noticed however is that these glitches only have happened after stopping and restarting prints multiple times, and never happened randomly in the middle of a print. Restarting RepG fixed the errors each time. I have not experienced anything similar since using pronterface, but that does not necessarily mean anything.