Smooth walls

Posted · Smooth walls

Hey folks,

I just printed out some models with my 3D printer and everything works fine. So now I can start with the fine tuning. Every picture I saw there is a very smooth skin texture. In my case you see every layer for layer... what Cura settings I can adjust to fix this?

PS, I already googeled but havn't found anything.

Best regards and thank you in advance!

Posted · Smooth walls

As @kmanstudios says if we can see your settings we can help more. One setting that significantly affects what you see is the Layer Height which gives you the resolution of the print. 0.3 is normally the thickest/lowest resolution and will show the lines more. If you drop to 0.2 the lines will show less and if you drop to 0.15 or 0.1, even more so. Personally I never drop below 0.1 unless I have a "horizontal" surface that  is curved in which case I may drop to 0.05, but I will do a test first to see if it is worth it.

The downside to using higher resolution is that the print will take longer. If a print at 0.3 takes 2 hours then if you drop to 0.15 you will be printing twice as many layers and assuming the print speed is the same then the print will take twice as long, i.e. 4 hours. If you take that to 0.05 then it will be more that 8 hours; so you do have to consider this normally.

Also if the speed is kept the same and you increase the resolution of the print then you will be using less filament per layer and so will probably want to reduce the temp. of your extruder to compensate

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• Introducing Universal Cura Projects in the UltiMaker Cura 5.7 beta
        Strap in for the first Cura release of 2024! This 5.7 beta release brings new material profiles as well as cloud printing for Method series printers, and introduces a powerful new way of sharing print settings using printer-agnostic project files! Also, if you want to download the cute dinosaur card holder featured below, it was specially designed for this release and can be found on Thingiverse! 
        • 10 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies