Multiple model printing in 3.2.1

ron1kelly

Posted · Multiple model printing in 3.2.1

I am having trouble with doing multiple model print. When the extruder travels between the different models, it appears that the extruder continues to flow. These are not small strings, looks like regular filament flow and attaches to each model like a support in different locations of the models. I am not sure if there is a setting in Cura 3.2.1 that would separate the items or stop the filament flow.  It has been pointed out that this might be my retraction settings.  I change from Retraction speed 40mm/s and distance 5mm to 40mm/s and distance 10mm and still have heavy stringing between models when the extruder travels. Is there anyway to separate the models on the print bed and print individually without these strings.

You should get zero stringing between prints.  What is your:

1) print speed (faster speeds means more pressure in the head which means more stringing)

2) temperature (higher temps means less viscous filament)

3) filament type (some filaments print better than others - PLA is the best)

4) filament color (some colors string more than others - white is particularly bad and I usually print it 10C cooler than other colors if I'm getting stringing)

5) printer/nozzle/core   (a 0.8mm nozzle will drip more than a 0.4)  A 3dsolex nozzle heats the filament more efficiently so you need to print cooler with those nozzles.

Increasing retraction is most likely only going to make things worse.  You want to retract only enough to release pressure - if you retract too much then air gets into the nozzle and that causes all kinds of over/underextrusions and messes everything up (too much filament in some places, too little in other places).

Maybe you have retractions disabled or aren't always occuring: in cura layer view check the blue checkbox (travels) and uncheck all the rest.  The lighter color blue is for travels with retraction.  Maybe some of them are dark blue?  If so you might need to tweak your retraction settings.  If all the travels between parts is light blue then I wouldn't mess with retraction settings.

I have the following settings;

1. Print speed = 60 mm/s

2. Temperature = 195c which looked best on the temp tower that I printed.

3/4. Filament is Hatchbox PLA, Green Glow. I am going to try Blue PLA when my current project is completed.

5. Printing on Creality CR 10 with standard extruder, 0.4 nozzle.

I did change the retraction speed from Speed 40mm/s, Distance 5mm to  Speed 40mm/s, Distance 10mm, from your comments, looks like that was a wrong move and will set back.

Retraction is Enabled.  

I will attempt doing another multiple model print in a darker color PLA and see if I still get the stringing between models.  It is most likely the Green Glow that is causing me the problem.

I have the following settings;

1. Print speed = 60 mm/s

2. Temperature = 195c which looked best on the temp tower that I printed.

3/4. Filament is Hatchbox PLA, Green Glow. I am going to try Blue PLA when my current project is completed.

5. Printing on Creality CR 10 with standard extruder, 0.4 nozzle.

I did change the retraction speed from Speed 40mm/s, Distance 5mm to  Speed 40mm/s, Distance 10mm, from your comments, looks like that was a wrong move and will set back.

Retraction is Enabled.  

I will attempt doing another multiple model print in a darker color PLA and see if I still get the stringing between models.  It is most likely the Green Glow that is causing me the problem.

I have found the problem, and I forgot to mention in my original message, that I was in Spiralize Mode.  I turned off Spiralize Mode and no more stringing.  From my findings, I  guess that you can't print multiple models without having stringing (actually it appears to be attempting to make supports between models), not stringing from the nozzle. I have attached 2 pictures of the stringing, sorry about the glare, printing on mirror.  You can see that the stringing on the left side of the pictures between the models is more than just nozzle stringing.

Thank You Ron Kelly

20180328_044056_001.thumb.jpg.1541c1a510b1955d61207bd8371bc5c1.jpg20180328_044229.thumb.jpg.2fa4ee2322b456bfcdcaa5918b62e51e.jpg

20180328_044056_001.jpg