Configuring Cura for students and general users in a high school computer lab

peterout

Posted · Configuring Cura for students and general users in a high school computer lab

Hi

Just to put my thread into context I am teaching beginners (students and adults) in a mixed 3d printer computer lab.

I have;

2 MonoPrice Mini v2's

2 LulzBot Mini with Aerostruders and LCDs

1 Ultimaker 3

1 Tinkerine Ditto Pro

2 Prusa i3 MK3's 

In terms of filament I am using PLA/PETG/ABS of various origins and of course a range of diameters 1.75/3

I have my personal cura setup for all of the hardware and materials... now the hard part.

I have been trying to figure out how (if) it's possible to do setup 1 instance of Cura that can slice to all of the above machines with MINIMAL difficulty for the end user (I can batch copy & paste files etc.). The difficulties that I would like some help with;

1. How can I (or can I) attach recommended settings (high, medium, low detail) for each 3d printer based on PLA or PETG ? (right now users have to dig through lists of settings under advanced settings). (essentially merging lulzbot cura with tinkerine cura and ultimaker cura... if that makes sense)

2. Can I somehow create a more expedient process to do the above i.e.

Install Cura,

copy and paste over custom files, 

In Cura select the above 5 3d printers and add them to the printer list

Really appreciate any input and assistance with this!

Cheers,

Peter

Posted (edited) · Configuring Cura for students and general users in a high school computer lab

Are Cura-settings "per user", or globally per computer? If per user, you could make a different username per main setting, like user: "Printer brand X - Filament material Y". First install everything as it should be (languages, keyboard layout, regional settings, all software, etc...), and then copy that profile to different users, and adapt Cura settings? I don't know if this is possible, I am just thinking aloud...

Edit: the idea is that for every machine and material, you would need to log in as a different user. And then you would automatically get the optimal profile for that situation. For example username "PLA on UM3" would give you the optimised profile to print PLA on the UM3. And so on.

Edited by geert_2

Posted · Configuring Cura for students and general users in a high school computer lab

Currently that's not really possible, but we're discussing several options for backup/restore functionality, so we'll take this as input for that discussion. Thanks!

cc @Msuurmond