Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
markwain

Printing with PVA

Hi there!
So ... I am new to printing with PVA. (I want to use it as support material). 
Is it best to use some adhesive while printing large parts with PLA+PVA. (My case is - most of the print bottom layers will be support material, which is PVA).

Appreciate any help :)

Edited by markwain

Not at all.  Just use a 60° bed temp (default for PLA / PVA printing).  Here's some screen shots of a 7.5" tall part, bottle, that is almost entirely PVA on the build plate.  About a 6 hour build.

5ac7e0d73b317_BottomLayer.JPG.f4e1f4ee7e25e8f009e4508c778fb134.JPG

Bottom Layer

5ac7e0f7d2449_4thLayer.JPG.0fa1ceae9dee4b8439b6629b103dd495.JPG

4th Layer

5ac7e11df01c1_8thLayerwithRoof.JPG.7dbd115ea31cdbe8f147c53ecbef0652.JPG

8th Layer Showing Support Roof

5ac7e15b06063_layer12.JPG.30b7239829c6537b88e8e8a9be7f6cd5.JPG

12th Layer Showing Bottom of Part over Support Roof

5ac7e195d87f9_FinalPart.thumb.JPG.64861c09a89d6fa7411bfb1e89e01fad.JPG

Final Part

This part is hollow (0% In Fill).  Start out using the default settings and adjust accordingly.

Hope this gets you started off on the right path.

I find that PVA adheres very well to the glass bed.  About the same a PLA and much better than ABS.  Without knowing what it is you are attempting to print, I have no idea whether or not you may need a brim.  As you can see, the part I have posted uses no brim at all.  Just two lines of Skirt 3mm away from the part to assure a good prime of the extruder.