Solved: Cura 3.3.1 - "Print as support" doesn't work after merging models

Gerrardh

Posted (edited) · Solved: Cura 3.3.1 - "Print as support" doesn't work after merging models

Hi All,

EDIT: I'm not sure how to explain why this happened, but I had a problem, then through a change in order of events, I've resolved it...  Skip to the EDIT below to see the steps I took... Original post, immediately below this.

I've made it about 10hrs through a 30-odd hour print, only to find that some parts which were suppose to have printed as supports haven't...
My model is made up of several sub-models, each with slightly different settings. I applied the settings through the "Per model settings" menu, selected a model that I need to be support - select "Print as Support", then merge the models to position the sub-models where they belong, then slice the finished model. Unfortunately Cura simply omits the regions that should be printed as support, and instead leaves me with a hole in the model. 

For what it's worth, the "Print as Support" option works fine if you don't merge models

Now I need to revert back to Cura 3.2 to start this print over again.

EDIT: I've just tried the same steps in 3.2 again, and its ALSO not working! Which is really odd - when I open an old project that I've saved, the "Print as support" option is working fine - but it doesn't work for a new project.

So I tried opening the old project, in Cura 3.3.1, re-sliced and it works...

I tried deleting all the models from that old project in Cura 3.3.1, inserting new models, tweaking settings and slicing - that worked.

Next, I tried merging the models in Cura 3.3.1, then slicing - NOW IT'S WORKING?!

Now.. For a sanity check, I'll try a new project in Cura 3.3.1

Load models in, tweak settings, then slice... And I get an "Unable to slice" warning... Weird...

Re-positioned the model on the build plate to re-enable the "Prepare" button, then re-slice the AND IT WORKS...

Conclusion: Always the same models and settings, tried in Cura 3.3.1 and 3.2, some times it works, sometimes it doesn't... I can't figure it out...

Regards

Edited by Gerrardh
Troubleshooting & Solve