UM2 Power Supply at 110V

mbef

Posted (edited) · UM2 Power Supply at 110V

Hi,

I noticed that when I touch the metal surfaces of our UM2, I could feel a slight electrical buzz in my fingers, which was stronger when not wearing shoes. This includes the Z-axis guide rods, and the thin exposed metal on the edges of the laser-cut front panel. The buzz feeling was still there when the UM2 was switched off.

So I checked the power supply DC connector with a multimeter, and I can see 100-110V AC between the connector's outer and real ground (checked against a PC back-panel, and a gas pipe). It's got almost no power behind it - which is why we're not in hospital! - but it's clearly floating to somewhere around mains/2 (mains is UK nominal ~230V). I measured the current to ground through a 2k2 resistor and saw 0.8mA => 1.7V under load => 1.3mW.

Seems unusual - but a weak floating ground isn't automatically evil. But I don't remember the tingling being there before... does anyone else have this? What is the local ground on a UM2 PSU normally?

Cheers,

mbef

Edited by mbef

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies