CR-10S Bowden Tube Install

Posted · CR-10S Bowden Tube Install

Hi All,

I've been struggling with a blockage somewhere in the filament path for a few weeks now - I've tried a whole bunch of things, but I'm not having any luck.
Tonight I pulled the bowden tube out, with the intention of cleaning the hot end and cooling block, but I found that the end of the bowden tube had some melted filament pushed back up inside about 5mm or so. I remember when I re-installed it last time after pulling it apart, I pushed the bowden tube back into the cooling block quite a way - until it stopped. I now realise that it doesn't stop until it touches the nozzle which can't be right. So the question is... how far should I install the bowden tube into the cooling block? I'm guessing it should go down to about the heat break, but I'm not really sure if that's enough to prevent melted filament finding its way back up into the bowden tube.

Any suggestions?

Posted · CR-10S Bowden Tube Install

Yes, the Bowden tube IS suppose to rest against the heatbreak.  Make sure you cut the Bowden tube straight across so there's no, I mean NO opening between the Bowden tube and the heatbreak.  To make insertion of filament easier, at the entry point for the filament, take a drill bit, slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the Bowden tube and (no electric drill) hand twist the drill bit against the Bowden tube creating a tapered opening so the filament slides easily into the Bowden tube.

*** If you want to insure you don't get your Bowden tube to melt against the heatbreak, go to https://www.captubes.com/shop/  ..... from the heatbreak to the top of your hotend, leaving a few inches above, cut the Capricorn tube to fit.  No need to have a full length of Capricorn tube to your extruder motor (if you're not using a direct drive system).  All you'll need is a connector between the Capricorn tube and the regular PTFE tube.  A connector can be found on https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2717271