what settings for 0.8 nozzle, 0.4 to 0.6 mm layer height PLA and UM2+

cekuhnen

Posted · what settings for 0.8 nozzle, 0.4 to 0.6 mm layer height PLA and UM2+

Hi all

I have an ultimaker 2+ and recently also bought a Lulzbot Taz 6 with the MOARstruder and was curious to see how far the Ultimaker 2+ 0.8 nozzle could be pushed.

I am not expert at 3D printing or adjusting these settings so excuse me for asking here.

PLA Material (Ultimaker)

UM 2+

0.8 mm nozzle

0.4 - 0.6mm layer height or max

As far as I know speed temp has to be fined tuned right?

Posted · what settings for 0.8 nozzle, 0.4 to 0.6 mm layer height PLA and UM2+

Well UM printers can print a volume of about 5 to 8 cubic mm/sec through a 0.4mm nozzle at 230C and the 0.8 has 4X the area so you should be able to push 20-30  mm^3/sec.  

So for example if you want to approach those speeds I would do:

line width=0.8

layer height = 0.5mm (so thick!)

print speed=50 to 75mm/sec

If you multiply line width, layer height, print speed you get the volume rate of extrusion.  0.8 X 0.5 X 50 = 20mm^3/sec

Posted (edited) · what settings for 0.8 nozzle, 0.4 to 0.6 mm layer height PLA and UM2+

do you have to adjust the temp too or is that pre defined by the material PLA Ultimaker?

I was not able to find anything to set the temp to 230 C.

Also I know it is big ?. This is for rough prototyping only

i have the moarstruder for a taz 6 and the s-Erde for inclass rough prototyping is great

we have 4 um2+ in my class room so we might consider to use the 0.8 mainly now

since often model studies is what students print

we have one um3 for finer prints

Edited by cekuhnen