Changing Material

mcdavidr

Posted · Changing Material

When I change filament per the manual I go to Material/PrintCore > Material 1] > Change . The manual says core will heat then material will reverse. On my printer when I hit change nozzle doesn't heat it just does a cold pull?

Is this normal, has firmware been changed?

(I'm assuming this is an UM3)

I was confused by this at first too, but this is normal.

After a print, the machine will retract the filament automatically, so it doesn't need to heat the nozzle when removing the filament (it should heat the nozzle when inserting filament).

Posted (edited) · Changing Material

Yes UM3, thanks for the reply. First time I tried it made a popping noise, I though for sure I had made the wrong selection and broken my new toy. Have had less than a week, still getting used to the noises it makes. I now use the following method.

i

Edited by mcdavidr

Yes, I've had that happen a few times too, usually with some more exotic materials (afaik never with PLA for me).

I think this happens when the retraction was not done correctly and some force needs to be applied to pull the filament loose (maybe the nozzle was a bit too hot, the distance was too short or there was a bit of slippage on the extruder gear)

If this happens a lot with some material, or you're worried, you can always manually pre-heat the nozzle before changing.