Tightened the screws but still lopsided/skewed prints

mygoal

Posted · Tightened the screws but still lopsided/skewed prints

Tightened the screws but still lopsided/skewed prints

I read the post “Lopsided/Skewed Prints” by djproductdesign because I have the same kind of problem.

So again I tightened every screw I could find and checked that the short belts aren't rubbing on the frame, just like Illuminarti and gr5 suggested.

But without any possitive results.

The problem appeared all of a sudden and first look to have been gone but now it's even worse.

The firts models where perfect.

– For the firsttime it's slightly visable at the two Owls but I didn't took a note of that because after that I printed some blocks which where okay.

– Than the Mont Saint-Michel became like a dream-print.

It looks like it came back to it's original point, which I think is a bit different that djproductdesign had.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/890-02-mont-saintmichel-s/

After this I printed again some blocks (10x10x10mm) and again these looked fine.

– So I imported a drawing with some more geometrie but this went terrible wrong.

– From that moment everything is printed skewed; the blocks, the Ultimaker-logo-robot...

If anyone has a solution how this can be resolved, please let me know.

Thanks!

PS

I tried to put pictures in this message ... but I think it didn't work out...

check http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/album/152-problems-skewed-prints/ to see them

I think you may have two different issues here. Where there are huge differences in layer position - the print suddenly offsets by several cm, more likely to be due to skipped steps on a fast travel move: the head trys to jump back to the start of the next layer really fast, and just can't move the head fast enough - so it pretends that it made the move, but just gives up and carries on.

To fix that, power the printer off, and try moving the head by hand, first in X, then in Y. In each case, just use light finger tip pressure on both blocks for that axis at the same time. The head should move smoothly and easily, and require about the same amount of pressure in each direction and on both axes. If it seem sticky or hard to move, make sure that everything is square and level, and the sliding blocks are holding the smaller cross rods level. Make sure the end caps aren't binding on the axes and stopping them turning freely. Add a little sewing machine oil to the rods to help smooth it all out.

After all that, if the problem persists, try reducing the speed on your fast moves a little bit. What is it currently set at? You should be able to do at least 100 - I have mine set at 250. You just have to figure out where your hardware starts to have problems and adjust accordingly.

The more gradual shifting of the layers is most likely related to slight slipping of the pulleys, since you say that the belts aren't rubbing. Use a permanent marker to mark the position of the pulleys on the axes (including the two on the motor shaft), and after a failure check to see that the marks are still all perfectly lined up. If not, you need to tighten more, and/or use different set screws (your kit may have included extra screws).

Thanks a lot illuminarti!

I checked everything again, reassembled parts, losen and tightened every screw I could find... and all looks well now!