Cura 3.4.1 - Is Combing realy working?!

amagro

Posted · Cura 3.4.1 - Is Combing realy working?!

Is Combing really working? why all those straight travel movements between the hexagons?

Screenshot_1.thumb.jpg.e4be03c2a1193c4a6b2791675df7e80d.jpg

And please optimize the toolpath generator, this is a big mess on a simple print as you can see on the image below.

Screenshot_2.thumb.jpg.590b13a919411c3cd9405561ddbe8ca0.jpg

Thanks

Hi @amagro, I know what's happening now and have fixes for when combing is "all" and "no skin". I need to test the changes some more but it's likely that a future version of Cura will have a fix for this. Here's a couple of images showing the "all" and "no skin" results.

Screenshot_2018-07-23_22-54-46.thumb.png.5d7fff1aee03f892f310d049bc8c3782.png

Screenshot_2018-07-23_22-55-26.thumb.png.92d2f3dab87090c7c727219a24ec72f6.png

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.4.1 - Is Combing realy working?!

Hello @smartavionics,

Thanks for your prontitude on solving this issue.

This model is for a school project and I needed to print some of them till the end of this week. 

Is there any chance you could send me the Cura executable with your changes?

Thanks

Edited by amagro

Hi @amgro. I can only build Cura for use on Linux, I don't have any Windows computers  or Macs here. So I can offer you a Linux archive (just unpack and run the included script). Let me know if you want that. I attach the gcode for your current model. Please note that combing may not give you the best quality results with this model because in the honeycomb region the walls are very narrow and so the nozzle will be right on the edge of the walls in some places. Maybe in the future Cura will comb over thin walls better than it does now. It is still under development (like all of Cura, actually).

CFFFP_MM_combo.gcode

Thanks again @smartavionics,

I will print the gcode that you send me.

So if you can, please send me the Linux archive with your Cura changes.

You can find my Linux archives at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0

Just unpack somewhere and run cura/bin/cura.sh

Sorry they are so big, I haven't succeeded in creating an appimage, these are just copies of my installation tree which has lots of files that you don't actually need. Good luck!

?

860762707_2018-07-2410_37_39.thumb.jpg.ec9bcfb976f2b68ba69cd56e9a918575.jpg

Hello @smartavionics,

I'm having some issues opening the Cura.sh file, this are the erros:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

beei@beei-VirtualBox:~$ cd Desktop/cura/bin/
    beei@beei-VirtualBox:~/Desktop/cura/bin$ ./cura.sh 
    Error in sys.excepthook:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 16, in <module>
        from . import multiarray
    ImportError: libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 969, in _find_and_load
      File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 958, in _find_and_load_unlocked
      File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 673, in _load_unlocked
      File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 665, in exec_module
      File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 222, in _call_with_frames_removed
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3/dist-packages/cura/CrashHandler.py", line 21, in <module>
        from UM.Application import Application
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3/dist-packages/UM/Application.py", line 9, in <module>
        from UM.Controller import Controller
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3/dist-packages/UM/Controller.py", line 3, in <module>
        from UM.Scene.Scene import Scene
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3/dist-packages/UM/Scene/Scene.py", line 13, in <module>
        from UM.Mesh.ReadMeshJob import ReadMeshJob  # To reload a mesh when its file was changed.
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3/dist-packages/UM/Mesh/ReadMeshJob.py", line 5, in <module>
        from UM.Math.Vector import Vector
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3/dist-packages/UM/Math/Vector.py", line 4, in <module>
        import numpy
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 142, in <module>
        from . import add_newdocs
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py", line 13, in <module>
        from numpy.lib import add_newdoc
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/lib/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
        from .type_check import *
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/lib/type_check.py", line 11, in <module>
        import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
        raise ImportError(msg)
    ImportError: 
    Importing the multiarray numpy extension module failed.  Most
    likely you are trying to import a failed build of numpy.
    If you're working with a numpy git repo, try `git clean -xdf` (removes all
    files not under version control).  Otherwise reinstall numpy.

Original error was: libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Original exception was:
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 16, in <module>
        from . import multiarray
    ImportError: libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/bin/cura", line 134, in <module>
        from cura.CuraApplication import CuraApplication
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3/dist-packages/cura/CuraApplication.py", line 10, in <module>
        import numpy
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 142, in <module>
        from . import add_newdocs
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py", line 13, in <module>
        from numpy.lib import add_newdoc
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/lib/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
        from .type_check import *
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/lib/type_check.py", line 11, in <module>
        import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
      File "/home/beei/Desktop/cura/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
        raise ImportError(msg)
    ImportError: 
    Importing the multiarray numpy extension module failed.  Most
    likely you are trying to import a failed build of numpy.
    If you're working with a numpy git repo, try `git clean -xdf` (removes all
    files not under version control).  Otherwise reinstall numpy.

Original error was: libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Since I don't have enough knowledge to solve this error, could you please generate another gcode but now for a different printer?
    I send you the Cura project with the stl and the 3D printer.

marcador_1.0.curaproject.3mf.zip

Thank you very much.

Hi @amagro, I attach the gcode. This was sliced with combing mode "no skin" and "avoid printed parts when travelling" turned off. I haven't printed it but the layer view looks OK.

As for the gfortran error above, it looks like you need to install the fortran runtime libraries so do "sudo apt-get install gfortran" and it should download and install what you need.

If you get the Linux version working, I will post another archive as I have done some more work on the combing.

CFFFP_marcador_1.0.gcode

Hello @smartavionics

With friends help I finally had the Cura with you modifications working on Linux.
    If you like you could share your Cura archives with your last "Combing" work.

Thanks

Hi, @amagro, I will post another archive later this morning.

Hello @amagro, sorry for the delay, new archive available now. I have been seeing some crashes when starting cura so maybe there's a problem with the current master branch? Anyway, once up and running it seems to work OK.