Custom firmware debacle

Gencab

Posted · Custom firmware debacle

Howdy folks its been a while.

Since I have modified my UMO+ heavily I have found joy in custom firmware and its merits when the need arises to make changes. My favorite has been AmadeeBulle / Marlin found here https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/ . Up to this point this very well made firmware builder has suited my every need. I have hit an impasse however due to my own personal limitations. To the novice like myself Marlin can be a bit daunting. The builders have me somewhat spoiled. Now I need to modify it again yet my builder of choice offers no such option. From my understanding I only have a few options unless someone can kindly point me in a better direction.

Option 1. Compile Marlin from scratch. This seems like doing much more work than needed given option 2

Option 2. Edit AmdeeBulle's or Ultimaker Marlin to suit my needs. Seems like the correct choice but I have no idea how to find the variables I need to change and what they need to be.

Option 3. Find a way to edit the firmware I have. Doing some searching on this it seems this is not doable as having a .hex and MD5 hash is not enough to load in to Arduino IDE. Shame since its already set the way I like it. ?

Option 4. Bang head against the wall until something happens. This hurts. Cant remember much after. 

Thanks

One cannot edit a compiled firmware image in an useful way.

What are you trying to achieve?

If you're familiar with C you can edit the source files from @amedee or Ultimaker and compile it afterwards.
    That's more or less the same as Option 1 - that's the only working way i know... (besides of Option 4... ?)

• Like 1

I suppose what im trying to achieve is a firmware with the same feature set I currently have while having the ability to add sensors or just simply continue on without starting over from scratch. It seems however that is exactly what needs to happen.

I can start with the Armedee or Ultimaker base firmware and modify from there. I simply need to get over the learning curve of Marlin in general. Can anyone recommend a good intro source to understanding marlin's layout and definitions other than the Wiki and git?