is it just me?

inlite

Posted · is it just me?

Ive been messing around with cura while waiting for my printer to arrive.

when I load a model it looks fine - http://screencast.com/t/W63W5sd8

when I look at the layers the model ends up here - http://screencast.com/t/6yt7gJEzC

is this because I havent set printer parameters or sometihng else?

does this mean its going to print at the corner of the print bed?

Posted · is it just me?

Run the wizard and tell it you have an ultimaker and cancel once it asks you to do touch a limit switch or something that requires an actual ultimaker. I do this all the time on my computers that are in a different room than the UM.

This should set up all the necessary defaults such as where the origin is and what the dimensions are of the bed. You can also set this stuff up manually in "file" "preferences".

Posted · is it just me?

Oh - and that gun won't be printable without support. I would consider - hmm. Every part has it's challenges. Well you could use tons and tons of support. I would print it 1/4 size the first time just so you understand the issues.

Or you could split it in half down the middle and print each half with the sliced off part down. Then glue the two halves together later.

Personally I guess I would add some support in the cad - maybe one post per inch along the gun barrel.

Make sure you get the UM printing something small and easy before you move on to something that will waste a lot of plastic if it fails half way in.

Posted · is it just me?

Thanks gr5! worked perfectly and thankyou for the advice on the printing too, now that I look at it, it would be so much simpler to make it 2 parts. Ill also start on a simple model before I get all serious on the cool looking stuff, its hard to hold back though