Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
greens83

Support upto max height

Hello fellow ultimakers,

Does anyone have any idea how to make support only generate to a certain height on the stl model ? (Im currently using kisslicer)

My only idea so far is to slice it twice, one with support and one without and splice the 2 together at the height I want the support to stop.

How easy is that to do ? How do you identify layer height in the g-code to make sure no layers are missed ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Do you mean using some other slicer, such as Cura? Kisslicer already had the 'Support Z-Roof' setting which does what you're wanting, I think?

If you want to do it in Cura, then you'll probably need to splice the gcode together, although Cura has an option to only generate support that touches the build platform, which may do what you need. Different slicers put comments in their gcode in different ways to help you navigate it. But pretty much all of them are going to start each layer with a G1 or G0 move command that includes the z-height of the layer above the platform, so just pay attention to those z coordinates to match up the layers straight between the two files.