I used genuine UM ABS for the first time and this is what happened

Patronus

Posted (edited) · I used genuine UM ABS for the first time and this is what happened

I bought a UM3 extended about 9 months ago and my experience with it has been up and down. Some really great prints but more often than not, failed prints for no apparent reason. Anything longer than a 18 hour print seems to be a gamble on my machine. I attributed it to inexperience however my results have become worse since buying the printer, not better. I thought it's because I'm using non-UM materials (I use Formfutura mostly) so I got myself a few rolls of true blue Ultimaker ABS and printed with Cura recommended settings using a 0.4mm print core, not changing a single thing, hoping to see better results. And 12 hours in, this is what I got.

I sometimes get the same from Breakaway (especially when using recommended settings) which is why I stopped using the stuff.

What could be the problem? Can my print core somehow be defective?

image.thumb.png.7b391013d3bd7d48a9fa8eff81fd3187.png

image.thumb.png.f97673978bce23c1a0b4e8ba2f600b3f.png

image.thumb.png.b57e3cb04bca75ebd2e61dc8546fe130.png

Edited by Patronus
typo

Posted · I used genuine UM ABS for the first time and this is what happened

Hi,

This looks like underextrusion. Make sure to clean your printcore often, maybe it's also worn out or "unfixable" partly clogged after that time and you need a new one.

For me the UM ABS always used to work fine with standard settings. When I use Formfutura ABS, I had to go down with the printing speed, otherwise it always used to look like your pictures when making long prints.

I figured out to reach higher speeds with Formfutura ABS with the Matchless Race nozzles by 3D Solex. With that setup (of course with some nozzle replacing), I'm printing about 3 kg Formfutura EasyFil ABS each week for the last 1.5 years on my UM3E with an success rate of maybe 80 - 85%.

Posted · I used genuine UM ABS for the first time and this is what happened

@DF-Werkzeugservice I think you are right. I have narrowed it down with 99.9% certainty to the printcore itself. I think it's partly blocked in a permanent way because I've cleaned it many times but the result always stays the same. Alternatively it may be a temperature issue whereby somehow the print core slowly cools down as it prints because of a temp sensor issue. Now that I use another print core things work fine. Maybe I can give breakaway another try since I always used this printcore for that, and from day 1 it was a bit of a disaster.