No manual extrude in Cura 3.4.1

Posted · No manual extrude in Cura 3.4.1

I must be missing something because I can't imagine that Cura would remove this feature.  I can no longer find the manual extrude and retract command in Cura 3.4.1.  I'm using a Printrbot Simple Metal Extended. I've read that the these controls should be under the Printer Controls menu in the Monitor page, but they do not appear for me.  I only see X, Y, and Z axis and Jog Distance controls.  Without these  controls I cannot use Cura to load and unload filament or clear jams.  

8-26-2018 9-53-39 AM.jpg

Posted (edited) · No manual extrude in Cura 3.4.1
    2 hours ago, ely said:

I must be missing something because I can't imagine that Cura would remove this feature

What you missed is that in 2016, Ultimaker started to rewrite all of Cura. Not all features were available right away, but most have returned by now (along with many, MANY new features). Unfortunately Ultimaker has lost interest in USB printing and especially manual control ("jogging") of the printer, so it is taking long for those features to return; they are contributed by external developers (like me). Extruder preheating and position jogging have only recently been reintroduced. Manual extrusion will too, eventually.

For now, use other software like pronterface for manual extrusion, if your printer does not have an interface to do it directly. Not the answer you were hoping for, but the only answer I have for you.

Edited by ahoeben

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies