Problems with Win7 workstation and Win10 laptop

TommyDee

Posted · Problems with Win7 workstation and Win10 laptop

First of all I am a beginner on Cura but not 3D CAD, STL generation, or 3D printing.

And as for CAD, I run a certified laptop workstation.  My CAD requires certified graphics drivers.

The computer is a Lenovo P70 w/ M4000 NVidia, Win 7 pro and 1080 native monitor.

Cura 3.4.1 will not show me the top line menu.  I didn't even know there was a menu when I had 3.2.1 loaded and gave up in Cura pretty quick as you might imagine.

Along comes a Lenovo Yoga book win 10 version.  It runs Cura 3.4.1 okay and whalla!  MENU!  WoW!  But its under-powered of course... But I can use it... sort of.

Problems I have with a hybrid notebook is the absolute lack of touchscreen consideration for even the basic function of zooming.

Add to that the fact that this notebook fails to do ctrl-combo keys (that's on Lenovo!), I cannot even use the ctrl-PgUp!

So I am in between a rock and a hard place.

Any advice that will solve my workstation issue without killing  my CAD?  Or a bug fix for making tablets useful?  Seriously, I can't get past zooming into the model right now on both platforms!  In all, this is already sounding like a really poor 1st impression.  In fact, this is a third impression and still having trouble warming up to this code.

Am I the only one with this much UI trouble?  Is there any long term plan to implement touch screen?  Now that I have a menu, I have to mouse to it to select anything in a sub-menu!

Seriously, HELP!  ...yet another computer is not an option.  

Posted (edited) · Problems with Win7 workstation and Win10 laptop

Something is really fighting me on this journey.

Adding a mouse to the mix helps zooming with the scroll wheel.  ...Once I got the lint out of the scroll wheel.

But this laptop only has one USB port and running Cura means limited  battery life!

Looks like I need to buy a bluetooth mouse to get around in Cura and have the charger in place. ?

Edited by TommyDee

• 1 month later...
    Posted · Problems with Win7 workstation and Win10 laptop

I finally got to confirm the settings.  By default, my CAD-leaning Lenovo P70 running Windows 7 Pro didn't recognize Cura as a 3D app.  Similar situation with an older Dell running a similar hardware configuration.  The top bar menu simply does not show up, and mouse click positions are offset.  I know this has been going on since V2.3 because that is when I gave up on this last time.  My Win10 laptop just isn't equipped for Cura.

Today I added Cura as a 3D app in the NVidia desktop.  Left all the setting at default and restarted Cura.  Now Cura is running on the NVidia card and the menu finally shows up.

Thanks guys: