squeaking noise Ultimaker 2+

Posted · squeaking noise Ultimaker 2+

Hello,

My Ultimaker 2+ has started squeaking while printing. It seems to occur only in the y axis direction and on slow speeds. I´ve tighten all the screws and oiled all the rods. What might be wrong? And what can i do to fix it? 

Here is a videos - https://youtu.be/jy57rQxY3tY

Regards, 

Simon 

I chased an intermittent and annoying squeak for a while - turned out to the the incremental movement of the reel of filament on the filament reel holder. I put some candle wax on the surface of the holder that contacts the reel (top surface of holder) and no more squeak.

^^ I also oil (sewing machine oil) every couple of prints - tiny drops on the rails.

I’ll try your suggestions, thank you.

Talked to the Ultimaker support at my location, they thought it might be the belts that’s been worn out. 

They look fine thou. 

Can be dust in the belts. I overheard it somewhere, not sure if you can brush clean the underside easily though without removing them that is?

Yes, and i can see some debris from the belts. Ill try to clean them, but i guess i need to replace them to rule them out. I´m now sure its not the feeder. 

The sound is really annoying... 

I've badly damaged my UM2 print head and grinder the hell out of the belt as it tried to move the head which was blocked and skipped loads of belt treads. It made the head wobble a bit and I've heard all sorts of sounds through long and short periods. If it prints well don't worry about it. I have an S5 and its making a weird sound on the first or second layer also but it prints fine, so Im also at a loss. if I don't see degradation then surly it can't be that bad. I also have a bit of belt dust on the top of my motors, but it hasn't changed in years so I assume its OK.

I know how you feel about weird sounds and squeaking and grinding and whatever. I hate all those sounds too! id say clean everything up as much as you can and if you can't see any damage or issues anywhere then just ride it out. Or just wait for it to wear whatever is causing it down.

...or try to pinpoint the exactly where its coming from....

I´ll change the belts and clean the motors. Hope that helps.. Its has about 3,500 hours of printing now so i guess its about time.  

Yeah, especially when you have the machine on your desk, as i have.

Thanx for all your replys guys!

I also have my machines on vibration reducing pads not that it would help the wear of the motors, but does reduce the transmission of vibration to the surface. Anything to reduce noise then im in.