Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
changedsoul

Poor print after certain height.

Can someone help me with this?

i tried printing this twice, once with out a cooling fan, once with a cooling fan. 

Tried incteasing the temp, tried decreasing the temp. 

What ever I try within the limits of my knowledge results in the same thing. 

Matter a certain height the print just turns horrible. 

It starts out great. 

I am using 50deg bed, and 210 deg nozzle. 

How the image is ok, taken with my iPhone   

13E36C85-3411-4C00-B7CF-8DC380438324.jpeg

Not sure what printer type you are using.   I'm assuming PLA and it's dry?

Any chance your z screw is dirty?

This also has the look of underextrusion.  Any chance your filament feed is suffering from increased tension (maybe a spool isn't feeding as expected or filament is getting hung up)?

I'm sure someone here will recognise this and come up with better advice, but perhaps this will give you a place to start.

John

It’s not an ultimaker. Its a coreXY style where the table moves up and down. 

Its pla, yes. 

Z axis screws are clean, and there is no filament binding going on.  I was going to say it looks like under extrusion to, but I am not sure why, if that’s it, why it’s happening. 

I thought maybe the fillament was clogging and the extruder was having trouble pushing, but I looked at the fillament and it’s got no signs of slippage. 

Since i I printed the same model twice, would it be electronic in nature?

somethjng taking that long to heat up and begin causing issues?

Is this even possible? 

Yes I am using Cura. 

I haven’t looked at the layer view in software. I’ll do that and see if something stands out. 

I didnt see anythig.  

Looks the same at the top as it does at the bottoms. 

Something is changing near the top. 

Could it be heat getting trapped in inner parts as the duct begins to close making it hotter than normal?

grasping here. 

Edited by changedsoul

Ok.  Anything changing during your print, perhaps a fan setting?  I had a thin walled item with a similar type of PLA and print temperature, the level at which the fan came on started something vaguely similar.  Again, guessing, not sure how your print fan is oriented or controlled.

John

nothing obvious has changed. 

The fan turned on after just a few layers and was on for the entire print. 

I printed two of these, one with no cooling fan for the entire part, and one with cooling fan for the entire part. 

Both resulted in a mess right after the part began to angle in smaller. 

If its an electronics thing and time, I am going to print two items on the table with the same settings.  If it’s a time and heat or electronics failure, the poor print should show itself earlier in the print. I don’t know what else to try. 

Edited by changedsoul