Cura 3.5.1 Adding Custom Printer

Corban987

Posted · Cura 3.5.1 Adding Custom Printer

Hi

When adding a custom printer (Ramps, Arduino Mega, Marlin 1.9) from scratch the prints come out like trash (I will clarify below)

My situation:

I have upgraded from 3 from years ago, I had a custom printer running Ramp3, Arduino, and Marlin 1.4 or something.  I had this custom printer running for all versions of Cura and it would print fine.  I decide to build a new printer, and having the same hardware but with Marlin 1.9.  I can print perfectly on this printer using the profile for my first printer.  I decided to create a new printer as the bed size was different.  I added a new custom printer, copied all the settings from printer 1 over to get started.  I ran a print and just got globs of filament on the bed,  Switch printer config to printer 1 again and reprint on the new printer and it prints perfectly.  

I then went to a new computer and did a fresh install of 3.5.1 and added the custom printer and cannot print anything successfully.  I uninstalled CURA and installed 3.0.X and added the custom printer identically and it prints perfect.

After analyzing the prints it looks like the extruder is not extruding enough filament, the amount of filament coming out when using 3.5.1 to create a custom printer versus 3.0.X to create the custom printer is significantly less to where some filaments just blob, some print extremely thin lines line I have a nozzle of 0.1 when it is actually 0.4.

Print sizes all seem correct, just extrusion seems the problem

The other difference I noticed is the 3.5.1 says custom FDM and 3.0.X says custom FFF printer.

Marlin Firmware version has no affect.

Upgrading from previous versions (eg going from 3.0.X to 3.5.1) keeps the correct settings and the new printed works fine after upgrading, just adding in 3.5.1 is the issue.

I did browse the forum to see if others have seen this but couldn't find anything, sorry if this is a duplicate post.

Thanks for response, It is definitely 1.75 in machine settings - I had thought that at first as well, the first time I created the printer it was 2.85 and I changed it to 1.75.  When I reopen the settings it says 1.75 as well.  I tried restarting after setting it as well, I also verified after the restart that the setting stayed at 1.75.  

I did not verify the filament settings on the right though, I think from memory filament diameter is also set there for the material choice - I will double check when I get home.

Ok, so you are getting the 1.75mm materials, which is good. Could you (re-)select the Generic PLA?

Sorry for the delayed response, I have had to get a competition done.  I have been printing from an old version of CURA and have now got this one back to 3.5.1  with the same issues.  When I select Generic PLA it seems to have fixed the issue.

As  I get a bit more time I will try adding a new

Thanks and again sorry for the delayed feedback