Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Undel

Ultimaker 2+ - Recommended New Parts Before Selling

I would like to sell my Ultimaker 2+ in the future. (this is not a sales post. Please do not ask for the printer!) It runs great and I know how to operate it, but I would like to get it in tip-top shape for a new owner so that they don't have any problems. 

I'm taking off internal cases, cleaning, lubricating, and getting it spick and span and making sure belt tensions are good etc.

There are some parts I'd like to be crispy fresh so that whoever buys it has as close to a "new" ultimaker experience as possible. I think it's likely that someone new to 3d printing would be attracted to an Ultimaker because of how reliable and "plug and play" they are. Here are the parts I'm going to make sure are new. If you have any suggestions for how to get this as ready-to-go as possible, I'm open to them!

Fresh Nozzle
Fresh Bowden Tube & Collets
Fresh TFM Isolator Coupler

Is there anything else that you think should be replaced for a printer that's been running for 2 years? Do the plastic parts of the feeder assembly need replacing?

Edited by Undel

It depends how many printing hours you have on the machine?

If it has been operating more or less 24/7 (some of them actually do), you could consider replacing the timing belts, there is a kit for that.

If the printer only has a few thousand operating hours though I think it will be fine with what you suggested.

Pay extra attention to carefully cleaning and re-lubricating the Z-screw with the right type of lubricant as that probably is the most critical component for maintaining good printing quality.

The feeder should´t need any attention unless you have been printing abrasive materials?

Edited by Anders Olsson

On 10/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, Anders Olsson said:

It depends how many printing hours you have on the machine?

If it has been operating more or less 24/7 (some of them actually do), you could consider replacing the timing belts, there is a kit for that.

If the printer only has a few thousand operating hours though I think it will be fine with what you suggested.

Pay extra attention to carefully cleaning and re-lubricating the Z-screw with the right type of lubricant as that probably is the most critical component for maintaining good printing quality.

The feeder should´t need any attention unless you have been printing abrasive materials?

Thank you for the response. I've only been printing with PLA. (no wood or fancy textures or flex or anything). 

I did a check to see how many hours I've printed over the years and it looks like 3500. (lots of miniature terrain, slow prints, high resolution) Does that qualify as "only a few thousand" do you think, or do you think I should do the timing belts?

Edited by Undel