Wiederherstellung einer Datei / Restoring a File

Posted · Wiederherstellung einer Datei / Restoring a File

English version below the german one

Hallo zusammen.

Ich habe das Problem, dass ich eine bestimmte STL Datei lade, sie im vollständigen Zustand erscheint und nach nicht einmal einer Sekunde zur Hälfte verschwindet. Samt weiteren Einzelteilen. Das liegt daran, dass eine Hälfte der Datei gespiegelt wurde.

Ich bin Neueinsteiger und finde keinen Weg, die Datei über Programmfunktionen von Solidworks wieder gerade zu biegen, abgesehen von der mühseligen Wiederherstellung einzelner Komponenten.

Darum die Frage, da diese Datei schon ein Mal gedruckt wurde: kann ich aus der Slicing Datei das Modell rückwirkend wiederherstellen?

Ich freue mich auf alle Antworten!

Einen schönen Feiertag für morgen wünschend,

Pixelhunter

Hello all!

I today ruined my 3D file which I already printed so I have a slicing file as well.

I know I could rebuild the half missing 3D file (as the model was mirrored but as I am an absolute beginner I can't find the problems and especially solutions in, Solidworks) and also it would take soooo friggin' long.

Is there a way to retrieve the 3D file by using the slicing file? Like: Transform back to what you've been made from!

Oh and please don't underestimate my problem because I said that I'm a beginner. It's not a cone or stuff, but a windchannel model. So it iswas pretty relevant for me to get it back to it's former shape asap. :x

I'm looking forward to all answers. Thank you in advance and have a happy Helloween.

Pixelhunter

First, search your harddisk and USB-sticks for old or deleted copies, and try restoring them. Most programs make temporary versions of a file while editing them. And afterwards these temporary files are deleted. So you may be able to restore these. Or if you lost the file due to a software crash, chances are that the temporary file is still intact in one of the "temp" directories on the hard disk. Search for these.

Next time, you should save every iteration under a new name. I usually add the date of today into the name, with added letters a, b, c,... for important changes on the same day. For example ("rsdoc"-files are the native format of DesignSpark Mechanical, a free 3D-CAD editor):

- somedesign_20181026a.rsdoc

- somedesign_20181026b.rsdoc

- somedesign_20181026c.rsdoc

- somedesign_20181030a.rsdoc

etc.

For the final version, simply make a duplicate, and use that for exporting, for images, and 3D-printing.

If you lose that last due to errors, you can easily go back.

And of course, make backups on separate portable disks, stored in multiple places. Or on USB-sticks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Wiederherstellung einer Datei / Restoring a File

Hello, Geert.

Thank you for the hints and tips. Though I couldn't find a temporary file or anything similar.

I guess I'll indeed create more backup files in the future. 

What I didn't mention in the english part of my post is, that when I open the file the model is shown in the shape it should be. Mirrored, with engines and stuff. But only for about less then a second, before it's being “corrected“.

Any suggestions?

Greets,

Pixelhunter

Edited by Pixelhunter
    mistype again ffs

It is not clear if the problem is caused by a corrupted file, a design error (=something that masks part of the design), a stuck temporary file, corrupted program settings, or whatever else. So the following is all guessing, and things you could try.

On Windows, programs may store temp files on weird, weirder or weirdest locations. Might be worth googling for it. I don't know about other operating systems.

What you should definitely do is make a copy of that file under a different name, preferably multiple copies (also on USB-stick), and *only work on the copy*. Leave the original untouched, except for making extra copies as necessary.

If the problem would be caused by a stuck temp file, in this way you might be able to get through. And you don't run the risk of damaging the original even further.

Another test: start the CAD program empty (=without any file loaded), and make a simple new design (a cube with a few holes or so), and save that under a different name. Check if all settings in the program itself are correct, as they should be. And check if the new simple design comes out well.

If you can open the file, but it seems to auto-correct or to auto-deform itself, there might be things that hide part of the design. Or that deform it. For example, if you have duplicates sitting on top of each other. Or there might be parts that are disabled from editing, or made invisible, or moved to another layer. Or that jump out of view to the side. Or similar. So you might want to search for such things too. If you can't see them in the graphic editing window (e.g. hidden items), maybe these items are visible in a structure-tree or so?

Also, try opening a copy of the damaged file (always work on the copy, not the original) in another editor that can handle that type of files. And try saving from there, under a different name, but same format.

Or try to find a program that can repair defective files, or an online service.

I think you need to search along this line. If it doesn't take too much time of course. At one point it might become easier and faster to just redo the design, and learn from the experience.

CAD-programs are immensely complex, among the most complex there are. And there are zillions of 3D-designs that we can make, which all behave differently. So there will always be bugs and unforeseen things. You need to calculate that in.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hello again.

I do really apreciate all your efforts on helping me with this topic and all your suggestions for nearly every imaginable situation, hehe. ?

I did the blend in / blend out option thing already but it didn't help. I hope to fix it all tomorrow, when I'll have direct support.

I tried a few of your advices but still my comprehension for CAD programms isn't good enough I guess. For nowh at least.

I guess you're right about your last statement. I'll thinkbe about it next timehat, before I get going with another model. 

I hope you had a good start into the week! Have a good time and keep it up. Thank you againfor!

- Pixelhunter