OpenCL for hardware-acceleration

thopiekar

Posted · OpenCL for hardware-acceleration

Hello everybody,

I'm wondering for a while whether accelerating Cura via OpenCL wouldn't be useful to slice large and complex models.

Personally, I know to less about what is going on in the CuraEngine for example, but are there many tasks even, which could be calculated in parallel?

What do you think and know?

We did look at it at some point. Our biggest issue was compatibility; there are a lot of issues with different hardware. We also estimated that the actual improvements wouldn't be that much for what most people slice.

Hmm, ok. Then it is just like I read in articles and ebooks. ?

At which time has it been discussed? .. or better ask on which version of OpenCL have these investigations been made?

Personally, I really like the idea of using OpenCL. As far as I hear the coverage of OpenCL support shall (!) be not too bad anymore.

Because what I personally dislike are solutions like CUDA, which only work (but very well, as I read) on Nvidia cards.

Has any WIP code been ever released?

• 4 years later...

I agree.
    My computer is designed for video processing and with a Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB there is enough power for 3D calculations.

I like Cura very much and I think that hardware acceleration is almost necessary. I'm trying to slice a 600MB High Res Lithopane. Turning and positioning alone almost brings Cura to its knees.

Please give us a tick in the settings so that we can do this
      can turn on yourself. also with the note "Use at own risk" or whatever.

Thank you very much.