Possible to turn off/remove extruder?

ULT

Posted · Possible to turn off/remove extruder?

Ok, so this question might be a little bit basic to some of you, but i'm looking to buy a 3d printer - current first choice is TronXY X5S, because of it's movement precision and setup that allows for a stationary plane - however I don't need it for printing, just for the movement. Infact it would be detremental if I can't remove the Extruder without it giving me an error and shutting down.

Can someone confirm that it is possible?

Alternatively, I guess, I could I simply remove the "E" commands in G-Code files or set them all to "E0". Is that possible?

A simple yes or no would be much appreciated.

example code here: E controls the Extruder

G1 X74.587 Y71.487 E23.15117
G1 X74.053 Y72.112 E23.24881
G1 X73.414 Y72.793 E23.35972
G1 X72.741 Y73.441 E23.47062

Posted · Possible to turn off/remove extruder?
    19 hours ago, ULT said:

A simple yes or no would be much appreciated.

no way... because.. it depends... ?  (mainly on the firmware that you want to use with your mod...)

In case of Marlin firmware one can remove the feeder motor, fans and heaters - basically everything but the temperature sensor.

If all heaters are disconnected one can even safely replace the temperature sensor with an adequate resistor.

And if one is willing to modify the firmware the only limit are the mechanical properties of the device.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 20 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies