Cura 13.06.4 doesn't start on my Win7 x64 machine

payala

Posted · Cura 13.06.4 doesn't start on my Win7 x64 machine

Hello,

I have downloaded Cura to try it out with some small prints, because Slic3r is giving me problems and I heard that Cura does a better job on those thin walled parts.

But when I try to run it, it only shows the blue splashscreen that says "Cura powered by Ultimaker". At the beginning, I can hear the HD moving, but after some seconds, no HD sound and the program never loads. If I click on the splashscreen, it dissapears and there is nothing left... weird.

What can I do?

Thanks,

Pedro

Strange. Well tech support would say "reboot your computer" so I guess you can try that. Before trying that I would go to task manager, "processes" tab and halt anything called "steamEngine" (unlikely to be running) or pythonw. If it does the same thing again, I think there is a log file somewhere. Look in the installation folder and subfolders for a log file dated newer than all the other files in there (dated when you launched cura).

Non english ascii characters have caused lots of problems in Cura so make sure the folder that Cura installed in has normal ascii characters.

First off, kill off the pythonw process like gr5 suggested. Then, goto the cura installation folder, there should be an output.txt, I'm very interrested in the contents of that file.

(Cura developer here btw)

OK, I have done as you said and I found an exception trace in the output file. It is repeated several times, but it's always the same one. There it goes:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_13.06.4\python\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_core.py", line 14660, in <lambda>

lambda event: event.callable(*event.args, **event.kw) )

File "Cura\gui\splashScreen.py", line 16, in DoCallback

self.callback()

File "Cura\gui\app.py", line 41, in afterSplashCallback

from Cura.gui import mainWindow

File "Cura\gui\mainWindow.py", line 16, in <module>

from Cura.gui import sceneView

File "Cura\gui\sceneView.py", line 19, in <module>

from Cura.util import meshLoader

File "Cura\util\meshLoader.py", line 6, in <module>

from Cura.util.meshLoaders import dae

File "Cura\util\meshLoaders\dae.py", line 4, in <module>

from xml.parsers.expat import ParserCreate

File "C:\Python27\Lib\xml\parsers\expat.py", line 4, in <module>

from pyexpat import *

ImportError: DLL load failed: No se encontró el proceso especificado.

So, somehow the pyexpat module is missing. I tried to install it via easy_install and pip and it didn't find anything for "pyexpat".

Thanks guys!

Hopefully Daid knows what this is but... do you have 23 files in this folder?:

c:\python27\dlls\

If not then maybe reinstall cura? Or uninstall python27 and reinstall cura?

yep, 23 files in that folder exactly. I will wait for Daid's answer, in case he wants me to try something else. I think the most interesting part of this is to find out what went wrong during the installation process in order to fix it so it doesn't happen again.

Anyway, it could also be a one off situation, I'm a python developer myself, so my environment could be different to the usual user. But even then, it would be interesting to find the root cause of the problem.

Daid, I'm at your disposal to try whatever you think appropriate.

Cheers, and thank you for your help.

Odd, Cura comes packaged with a python install, and thus should not use files from C:\python27

You could try moving/uninstalling the python from C:/python27 or copy the Cura python from C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_13.06.4\python\ to the C:\python27 location.

It is odd that this causes a conflict, I also have a python install and this does not cause issues. Could you try something for me? Do, "start"->"run"->"cmd" and there type "set", and post the result. It will be about 2 pages of data, and there might be something in there causing this issue. Once I know what it is I might be able to work around this in future versions.

There you go:

C:\Users\Pedro>set

ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData

APPDATA=C:\Users\Pedro\AppData\Roaming

asl.log=Destination=file

CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files

CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files

COMPUTERNAME=I7

ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe

FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO

HOMEDRIVE=C:

HOMEPATH=\Users\Pedro

JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_21

LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Pedro\AppData\Local

LOGONSERVER=\\I7

M2=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache software foundation\apache-maven-3.0.4\bin

M2_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache software foundation\apache-maven-3.0.4

NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=8

OS=Windows_NT

Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Pyth

on27;C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\;C:\Python27\Scripts\;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2011a\runtime\win64;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2011a\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\google_appengine;C:\Program Files

(x86)\Apache software foundation\apache-maven-3.0.4\bin;C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\google_appengine\

PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64

PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4, GenuineIntel

PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6

PROCESSOR_REVISION=1a04

ProgramData=C:\ProgramData

ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files

ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)

ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files

PROMPT=$P$G

PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\

PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public

PythonPath=C:\Python27\Lib;C:\Python27\DLLs;C:\Python27\Lib\lib-tk

QTJAVA=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

SESSIONNAME=Console

SystemDrive=C:

SystemRoot=C:\Windows

TEMP=C:\Users\Pedro\AppData\Local\Temp

TMP=C:\Users\Pedro\AppData\Local\Temp

USERDOMAIN=i7