Cura 3.6 what are the extras in the install

charentejohn

Posted · Cura 3.6 what are the extras in the install

Hi, just installed 3.6 and as it was installing it kept asking did I trust and want to install loads of stuff mentioning ports and usb.

As a rule I say no as no idea what it is.   Having said no a lot of the newer features that look good don't appear, do I need these, if so I will reinstall.

I liked the second layer view option that shows head travel on each layer, selected the option but not appearing.

Also the new infill is not appearing, just the usual ones.

What do I need to do to fix this ?  I am sure if you offer to install all the other stuff it must be ok, just that I have always just installed what is needed on my pc.  Running Win10.

Thanks for any info,  John

I don't know about "extras", maybe it was USB drivers, but you should be able to normally use all the features. Could you post screenshots? Especially of the infill list... are you sure there is no "Gyroid" at the end of the list?

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.6 what are the extras in the install

Thanks for the quick reply, gyroind turned up and looks neat.  Just about to print a small part that failed which this may help.

Still no simulation view, tried the option here but still doesen't show.  Nice feature to see the movement.  I have had problems before where travel caused bad layers so to see how the layers go down would be really useful.

I have a current version of win10 so should support Open GL ?  I may try reinstall to see if it iwas one of the options I rejected.

Seems it may be compatibility mode but where is it ? Still searching but can't see it in any settings or options.

Edited by charentejohn

20 minutes ago, charentejohn said:

Thanks for the quick reply, gyroind turned up and looks neat.  Just about to print a small part that failed which this may help.

Still no simulation view, tried the option here but still doesen't show.  Nice feature to see the movement.  I have had problems before where travel caused bad layers so to see how the layers go down would be really useful.

I have a current version of win10 so should support Open GL ?  I may try reinstall to see if it iwas one of the options I rejected.

Seems it may be compatibility mode but where is it ? Still searching but can't see it in any settings or options.

OpenGL support depends on your videocard drivers. You can check the logs to see what OpenGL version Cura detects on your system.

Where are the logs ? I found a post with this -  I know of the Cura log in /Users//Library/Application Support  

Problem is there are lots of Users type files so this is a bit like saying, there is a noise from my engine, are the shell bearings ok, what are shell bearings ?

A common computer problem, microsoft are the worst, to say look at X assuming people have a good system understanding.

I do love some solutions, I looked up how to find if open GL is installed, answer, install open gl viewer... ??  Often the solution, download some one time only software, edit the registry etc.  No chance as just asking for trouble.

Hopefully finding if this is installed can be done by cura.

CURA 3.6 is very slow and laggy on my Mac computer and laptop. I've had technicians double check the installation process and have turned off the automatic slicer. Currently there is about a 5-10 sec wait before clicking on on object and then accessing the transformation tools to resize or move the object. I am printing with custom printer profiles, but I have only changed the print bed dimensions and nozzle diameters, so surely this shouldn't affect the time lag so much. 

Does anyone have any tips for settings that would make Cura run faster? I know how good Cura can be, as I used to run Cura 3.? off Windows PCs last year and it was instantaneously slicing, transforming and giving me print prep data.

Edited by OwlSensei
    clarity

7 hours ago, charentejohn said:

Where are the logs ?

You can find the location on where the logs are here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Cura-Preferences-and-Settings-Locations

4 hours ago, OwlSensei said:

CURA 3.6 is very slow and laggy on my Mac computer and laptop. I've had technicians double check the installation process and have turned off the automatic slicer. Currently there is about a 5-10 sec wait before clicking on on object and then accessing the transformation tools to resize or move the object. I am printing with custom printer profiles, but I have only changed the print bed dimensions and nozzle diameters, so surely this shouldn't affect the time lag so much. 

Does anyone have any tips for settings that would make Cura run faster? I know how good Cura can be, as I used to run Cura 3.? off Windows PCs last year and it was instantaneously slicing, transforming and giving me print prep data.

What MacOS version are you running?

Found it, thanks for the link.  It says-

DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [99]: Initialized OpenGL subsystems.
    2018-11-21 14:20:23,554 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [100]: OpenGL Version:  4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.4252
    2018-11-21 14:20:23,556 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [101]: OpenGL Vendor:   Intel
    2018-11-21 14:20:23,558 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [102]: OpenGL Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500

Cura notes say (sadly)

Better layout for 3D layer view options. We’ve incorporated an improved layer view for computers that support OpenGL 4.1. For OpenGL 2.0 to 4.0, Cura will automatically switch to the old layer view.

My computer may be able to install openGL 4.1 I have no idea.  Problem with all the latest everything is that everything not the latest stops working.  So to get this feature I just need a new PC, so I will just have to live without it as not really that cost effective.

I like cura but will try slic3r and see if that does it, cant find the words they use for the feature, if any. - Edited to say just tried Slic3r and, yuk.  It may work but just hangs and says not responding so not wasting any more time on it.  Back to Cura.

Someting for developers to bear in mind is to avoid latset versions of stuff if not needed (maybe opengl4.1 is) as it causes compatibility problems like this.  A lot of people will be like me, and most laptop owners, where the video card is in the chip so not modifiable, also Intel are a bit popular so found all over.  Basically if it can be made to run on Intel internal chip video that is the way to go.  Probably locked out all people with 2+yr old PCs and laptop users, like me.  Oh well, it was just a nice to have, maybe in 5 or 6 yrs when I upgrade mey PC, maybe....

Edited by charentejohn
    More info added

I'm running High Sierra, but will upgrade to Mojave in a couple of weeks when classes finish. I've gone to the GitHub link you sent, but I am struggling to find the change logs on either the shared PC in my classroom or teacher laptop. Both have nothing appearing under user>applications. I will need to find a Mac technician and get back to you.