Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
greengecko

Dual extrusion ideas

Unfortunately some parts were missing when my dual extrusion upgrade arrived so it will be while to test the ideas mentioned below.

A whipe tower could simply be a small heat resistent plate which is attached to the frame and just at one edge of the bed. It would stay at the same height and no need to print one (probably someone else had this idea before).

Second, to cool the inactive nozzle why not have next to the whipe a water splash pool topped by a sponge that takes the water up and we use evaporation to cool the noozle by some degrees. Via the speed the noozle passes the sponge the amount of cooling could be controlled. A clever algorithm would know how much cooling is necessary before the next print of the noozle.

So after a job of one noozle is done it whipes and cooles itself and then normal heating would take place just to be ready for the next job.

As i said just ideas but maybe someone thinks they are worth a try.

isn't it an idea to add an mechanism that lifts the inactive extruder for just about 5 mm or something which eliminates the effect for it to smear the "drip" on the printed model. (i think this can be possible by adding 2 servo's, but i do not know if the main control board can support 2 extra outputs)