Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
macio

Auto level problems - automatic bed leveling

Hi,

I printed a level test to show our problem.

If you look carefully at the difference between the last two images, the print near the prime blob looks quite ok, but on the other side (back right side of the print volume) the distance between the nozzle and the print bed is too large. You can even see the difference when comparing the Skirt.

Using auto level feature, its always the left back side that has a bigger distance to the nozzle. The auto level feature uses three measuring points, back left, front left and front right.

I think it would be necessary to also measure the distance at the back right corner and then somehow average to get the correct plane. Or use a mesh bed level.
I also think that there is too much pressure needed for the auto level sensor wich bends the build plate more on the front side.

Is this a problem only with our printer or is this a common issue with current auto level implementation?

20181127_123739.jpg

20181127_123804.jpg

20181127_123812.jpg

I never checked it in that way you did, but I also never had issues with the auto leveling that a print failed due that. UM3 printer can have glass plates that are not really flat, you can check it with a ruler or something like that if your glass is really flat.

I am not sure if the leveling process of the S5 will come some days with new firmware also to the UM3, there you have several measurement points over the whole print bed, but normally it works well. On the UM3 you could also disable auto leveling and level the bed manually, this is something which not possible anymore on the S5.