Z Hop on Single Layer prints

greaseyknight

Posted · Z Hop on Single Layer prints

I'm using Cura for my Anet A8, and I'm trying to get it to Z Hop between different sections of the print. I'm using it as a plotter/woodburner, so I don't want it dragging when it does a move command. 

When I look at the Gcode, I don't see any z moves when it does a move between parts. 

The part is being printed as a single layer, no infill, just like something on a laser printer. 

Turn off combing.  This is probably your issue.

It won't hop unless it "retracts" and it won't retract if combing is turned on (which it is by default).  Combing is a little more complicated than this but all you need to know is: turn off combing.

Oh and look all the "minimum" related retraction settings and make sure it will retract even if the gap is only 1mm or so and even if it did many retractions recently.