Warping out of control (UM3E)

macio

Posted (edited) · Warping out of control (UM3E)

Hi,

we have big problems with warping and im a bit lost how to handle it.

I did a test print as an example to show our problems (Ignore the missing top layer I ran out of filament).
What i totally don't understand is the bent/crooked left site of the print over the support.

Is this only a warping artifact?

I tried to change bed temperature, initial layer flow, ambient temperature and wall line count but so far nothing really helped.

How can we improve our prints?

WarpSupportZ_t1.PNG

20181130_124810.jpg

20181130_124815.jpg

Edited by macio

Please give us more information. Which material, which bed temp, print temp, layer height, what do you du for bed adhesion, just glass, glue, spray, adhesion sheets, etc.

Edited by Smithy

Posted · Warping out of control (UM3E)

Hi,

Material: PLA
    Print temperature: 185°C (Initial layer: 190°C)
    Bed temperature: 70°C
    Layer height: 0.15mm
    Flow: 90% (Initial layer: 75% since the auto bed level results in a quite thin nozzle to bed distance)
    Speed: 70mm/s
    Other settings should be like the default 1.5mm PLA profile shipped with Cura

We actually print directly on glass without adhesion sheets or anything because the print itself holds very well on glass. Directly after a print it is nearly impossible to get it off, we need to wait until the bed cools down so I thing in general adhesion is not a problem, only warping. We tried using adhesion sheets once which results in buying a new build plate since we could not get the print off.

On the first sight, your bed temperature is too high with 70° for PLA so it could be that the PLA deforms due to too high temperature. Try lowering it to 60 or 55°.

I would suggest..

Set 1st layer bed temp to no more than 65, even try 60; 2nd and subsequent layers set bed temp to 50, certainly < 60

You do not say but set 1st layer layer height to 0.3

You do not say but set 1st layer print speed to 20 mm/s

For the moment I would set print speeds to 40mm/s or lower.

If you must print at 70 then set No. of slower layers to say 5;set Regular fan speed at layer  to say 6

I set my 1st layer flow to 70 and then increase it 10% each layer to get to 100%

Use a brim

Edited by yellowshark

… if you start getting adhesion problems then either spread PVA or spray hairspray